The Reef Tank banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
OK, for the more advanced and more patient among you; I have 1 65wt pc w/ a 50/50 actinic/daylight bulb. that bulb is being replace by a 10k daylight bulb.
so there it is. 2morrow, im a add another fixture, and throw an 03 actinic bulb in there(also 65 watts). giving me a total of 130 watts for my 29 gal(4.5watts/gal). i want to know what i can and cant put in there. no im not expexting n e one to tell me the can and cants, just and idea or two. Also, on my old tank, when i upgrading the lighting, i got an algea bloom you would only see in movies. it was like an army of evil crap was waging war against the tank. how do i avoid the algea bloom, ive bought timers and i am aware that i need to keep the actinics on b4 and after the 10k's. i am willing to do what eva it takes to keep from growing the ugly stuff.

i have a clown, regal, wrassee, goby, and 2 anemones, was wondering how they would be affected by the light upgrade, dont want to hurt them.

and there are my purple tips, i want to add more, colorfuler, corals and sponges and want to know if i have enough lights.

heres a pic of my sump just for giggles

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
your lights still may be a bit low for the anemones. corals and anemones tend to not mix. mainly because the anemones will go floaty on you and sting anything they touch while floating around the tank looking for a new home.

there is not real reason to turn the actinics on before your other bulbs. i do it just as a ramp up for the higher powered metal halides. gets the corals used to some light before blasting them with the heavy guns. :D

as for algae, whenever you change anything with the lighting you tend to get an algae bloom while things settle out with the new lighting situation.

you can try most any softies with that lighting, zoas, mushrooms, and leathers.

G~

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
yea, soft corals would be easy, maybe some of the low light large polyp stonie corals(LPS)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
my fault, didnt no the posters would offend n e one. next time ill stank in front of my einstein poster. sorry--------Alex

1 - 6 of 6 Posts