The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Sumpless Girl
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought an orange zoa colony that was infested with sundial snails. I picked most of them off but night by night the zoa colony was declining.
I did a quick google and came across a freshwater dip, and thats what i did.
the temp and ph was matched, i put the zoa rock in freshwater for about 15 mins, sundial snails popped off dead, along with some pods.
When i returned the zoa colony back to my tank it looks dead. the polyps are floppy and white, transparent. the neon orange can be seen tucked deep inside but they are retracted.
It looks bad :(
Its a gonner isnt it?

·
Sumpless Girl
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i hope so, they look like jelly :bawling:
they were beautiful when i got them, the whole rock was covered, i lost about 60% of the colony over a two month period.
it did spread to my other zoa rocks which were over three years old, so that sucked.
when i picked up this zoa rock before dipping there also was a sea spider that scared the pants off of me, it ran so fast! i dropped the rock in fear and went back an hour later, the sea spider must have went to another rock because he was not dead in the freshwater dip.

·
Enjoy it now
4,085 Posts
I used to rinse my zoas under tap water weekly and they thrived like a 'mug'. I contribute the lack of detritus as the factor....and when I say thrived, i mean the colonies would nearly double every other week.

·
Enjoy it now
4,085 Posts
i hope so, they look like jelly :bawling:
they were beautiful when i got them, the whole rock was covered, i lost about 60% of the colony over a two month period.
it did spread to my other zoa rocks which were over three years old, so that sucked.
when i picked up this zoa rock before dipping there also was a sea spider that scared the pants off of me, it ran so fast! i dropped the rock in fear and went back an hour later, the sea spider must have went to another rock because he was not dead in the freshwater dip.
Be sure your zoas have plenty of flow to wash away any slime and what-nots during this period. take lots of pics :D

·
Sumpless Girl
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Be sure your zoas have plenty of flow to wash away any slime and what-nots during this period. take lots of pics :D
okee dokee :)

I moved everything from my 15g nano that was a few years old to my 220g. the flow is much higher in the new tank, the nano was pretty stagnant, i dont even know how anything survived and actually thrived in there. I found some horrible looking creatures while tearing it down, several large chitons that are still giving me the willies when i think about them, several hundred baby snails, a fat stubby bristle worm, micro stars, everything but the kitchen sink...well almost, at least i didnt have a mantis shrimp hehe.
I gave the corals a good shake to try and loosen any critters, i only dipped that one zoa though..

·
Registered
579 Posts
I've seen much worse first hand.
When I started my 30g I purchased a large piece of semi-cured LR from my LFS and there was a (what I thought) dead colony of zoa and 5-6 large palythoans. It took about a month or so but they have both pulled what I thought to be an imposible 180!!!

Hang in there, your in for a suprise!

·
Registered
679 Posts
I used to rinse my zoas under tap water weekly and they thrived like a 'mug'. I contribute the lack of detritus as the factor....and when I say thrived, i mean the colonies would nearly double every other week.
Really? Is this something you would recommend? I got a little zoa rock a few weeks ago and they haven't really produced new ones yet or spread to other rocks... I'm not doing anything specific to them - should I be?

·
Enjoy it now
4,085 Posts
Really? Is this something you would recommend? I got a little zoa rock a few weeks ago and they haven't really produced new ones yet or spread to other rocks... I'm not doing anything specific to them - should I be?
First off: I claim to be no expert...;)

As an experiment, I started removing some coral colonies weekly ( part of my water change regimen ) and would pick off bristle worms. I would then run them under luke-warm tap water straight from the faucet to remove detritus and hopefully stun any other worms/parasites.

I noticed an immediate improvement and tried some other colonies that I could remove. They took off like a rocket..I'll post some pics when I get home later ( my stinking photo site is down indefinetly )

I believe the lack of detritus contributed to the growth. Possibly even the lack of worms that might have been irritating the colony...

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.