The Reef Tank banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
but I'm too dumb to figure out how I'm supposed to get this thing together. Ummm...this may sound dumb, but how do I attach the mag3???

·
Sponge-tastic!!
284 Posts
The Mag3 hangs on the inlet pipe with a cler piece of silicone hose and 2 plastic hose clamps.

Does that help? I'll see if I can find a pic.

·
Retired Wanderer
17,190 Posts

·
I've got the REEF rash!
61,658 Posts
If a hang on,it's a shorthosee you need.If your using in a sump you need a longer hose to reach the bottom of the skimmer.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Alright...so I've got it set up and running. Thanks for the help on that, but now I have another question. It's almost like the thing is siphoning out water. I have to clean out the collection cup about every 10 minutes, but there is nothing but water in it. Is this normal? Any suggestions as to what to do?

·
Sponge-tastic!!
284 Posts
DrFish33 said:
Alright...so I've got it set up and running. Thanks for the help on that, but now I have another question. It's almost like the thing is siphoning out water. I have to clean out the collection cup about every 10 minutes, but there is nothing but water in it. Is this normal? Any suggestions as to what to do?
The collection cup is set too low in the skimmer chamber. There should be a black rubber band that goes around the outside of the collection cup that you can move up and down to adjust the height of the collection cup neck in the skimmer chamber. There's going to be a 'sweet spot' but you're just going to have to keep fiddling with it to find it.

Also, do a search for the Remora skimmer to see if there are any guaranteed fixes or tricks.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Great tip...I was wondering what that was for and your suggestion makes complete sense. I'll try that as soon as I get home from work. I appreciate the help.

·
Premium Member
10,625 Posts
i would move the cup so the band is about 1" from the bottom as a start. it may take a few weeks for the skimmer to start working right as it will need to dial itself in. don't expect skimmate for a week or two at best.

·
Sponge-tastic!!
284 Posts
DrFish33 said:
Great tip...I was wondering what that was for and your suggestion makes complete sense. I'll try that as soon as I get home from work. I appreciate the help.
That's what we're here for!

:thumbup:

~Brian

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
so...i've changed the "level" of my skimmer cup...now how soon will I know if it is at the correct level?

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Well if its not filling up your good, mine pulls out a dark brown tea like liquid and I pretty much empty it once a week but it only fills up 1/4 of the way cause I have a 29G light load tank so I guess not much stuff in it to get out, but I live it it works great...

If you notice it bulling out like a very light brown i would move it up more.

Also hang on to that pipe brush you'll need it to clean out skimmer and possibly injection part if you notice a decline in skimmer efficiency.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So, what I really want is to hear it running and see bubbles, but none coming out of the top of the tube???

1 - 19 of 19 Posts