The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Sumpless Girl
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went downstairs to add some alk and i noticed my new mh light fixture was hanging off my tank.
one of the legs just broke in half, i guess from the heavy weight of the light. thank god it didnt land in the water, instead it laid crooked over the top. it fell hard enough that one side is busted now.
i called dr fosters and they are sending me out a new one, but im kinda scared this will happen again, especially since i just read reviews on it and someone said the same thing, their legs too broke.
my poor corals, they were so happy with the new light, now they have to go back to pc for a week until the new mh comes.
dang i just have the worst luck with equipment :cry:

i had an idea when the new one comes, can i add a wood block support at each side where the mounting legs are just to take the weight off those legs some? or is that a fire hazzard? the wood blocks wouldnt be under a bulb or anything like that, to the side where the leg mounts are if that makes sense.

of course im hesterical :cry:

maybe that nudibranch was punishing me :(

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
Ahhh . Don't feel bad . Things happen . That is just manufacturers cutting costs and skimping on things . Did you ever notice how thin water bottles are now ? Same thing .Just don't use Pressure treated lumber/wood .Ya know the green stuff :wavey:

·
Sumpless Girl
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
heres the one i got
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3733+8075+14704&pcatid=14704

its the last size on the list 72" 942 watts. it weights 61 pounds so i guess thats too heavy for those flimsy plastic legs to hold. it crashed down so hard on that one side that pieces of the leg/fixture are at the bottom of my tank right now.
i googled "coralife legs broke" and it seems like this is a never ending problem with coralife mounting legs. so not only is it very possible but very common. they have several complaints but do nothing about these flimsy legs.
we took the light off last night because i couldnt think about anything at the time other than its gonna fall in the water and electricute everything.
when we took it off the part that crashed down was damaged also, missing screws and cracked leaving it sorta spread open near the glass part.
i have my old 4x96 watt PC fixture on it now (also a coralife but way lighter, prob only 18 lbs) with better legs, 2 fat ones instead of four flimsy ones.
a new light should be here by the end of next week, is it ok to leave my old pc lights on the tank for now? will the corals go into shock or something? they were doing very well under the mh, my zoas and softees colored up and grew alot more. the pc lights were way under powered for such a deep tank.
or should i try and tape the fixture together, get the remaining three legs back on and try and make a fourth leg/support from wood?
would a wood block propped under work? or would i have to attach it somehow? glue? tape?
oh and btw the light has been on a a half price sale for a month now...half price for a reason i guess :(

·
Sumpless Girl
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
:agree: I would put you new lights back with a pc of plastic holding it up till the legs come in. Go to the dollar store and look for something to use . The old lights would be like a cloudy day :worm:
ok, i'll make a leg and get it back on :)

just curious, what if it falls in? like half way, would the GFCI protect it and turn off? its plugged into a power strip that it on a GFCI does that make a difference?
if it falls in what do i do? i know not to touch the water lol but do i pull the plug or go to the circuit breaker box and turn everything off there and then is it safe to retrieve the fixture from the water?

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
ok, i'll make a leg and get it back on :)

just curious, what if it falls in? like half way, would the GFCI protect it and turn off? its plugged into a power strip that it on a GFCI does that make a difference?
if it falls in what do i do? i know not to touch the water lol but do i pull the plug or go to the circuit breaker box and turn everything off there and then is it safe to retrieve the fixture from the water?
If it falls in . YES . Unplug it first at the strip . It should "kick" out on the GFI though .. If the fixture is "unplugged" yes you can grab it .

·
Sumpless Girl
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I found a nice piece of wood in my garage. it just has to be cut to fit.
hubby is gonna cut it in a little bit...i hope this temporary leg holds until the new fixture comes :eek:

glad to hear the gfci will cut off if it lands in the water..i wasnt sure.
the electrition was just here a few days ago because the new mh was tripping everything in my basement. he put the fish tank on a dedicated breaker and installed a four outlet gfci next to the tank. dang bill came to $1100 bux..then the light falls appart a few days later :doh:

there must be a black cloud over me :help:

·
Just some guy, you know?
23,239 Posts
I just wanted to echo that you can use wood blocks to hold up the lights if you would like :) In fact a couple of users here have their MH held up that way,.. just stick around for the first day to be sure :)

You could also hang the fixture for a sleeker look, but make sure if you do that it's done securely - screwed into studs.

Whiskey

·
Sumpless Girl
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just wanted to echo that you can use wood blocks to hold up the lights if you would like :) In fact a couple of users here have their MH held up that way,.. just stick around for the first day to be sure :)

You could also hang the fixture for a sleeker look, but make sure if you do that it's done securely - screwed into studs.

Whiskey
phew..ok as long as its been done before
yeah i thought of ceiling mounting it but honestly i dont even trust the metal hooks that are screwed into the fixture, the whole thing just looks flimsy, and for 61 pounds thats pretty heavy for little screws i think.
im gonna do the blocks, and maybe lay skinny wood pieces across the corners somehow this way if it falls it will fall on the wood...
i'll take pics when im done
dang i should have taken pics of it hanging off the tank lol..it was a sight to see..but i panicked and went a little hesterical :eek:

·
Premium Member
11,736 Posts
I actually fit my Coralife fixture into my canopy and it also has a broken leg. The legs sit right up against the wooden braces for the canopy, so the broken leg is held in place by the weight of the fixture pressing it against the wood. The only time I need to be careful is when it is time to move the canopy, usually when the bulbs need to be replaced.

All that is to say the wooden supports should work fine for you.

I also tried to epoxy the leg back together before, and can tell you to not waste your time with that. ;)

·
Sumpless Girl
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I actually fit my Coralife fixture into my canopy and it also has a broken leg. The legs sit right up against the wooden braces for the canopy, so the broken leg is held in place by the weight of the fixture pressing it against the wood. The only time I need to be careful is when it is time to move the canopy, usually when the bulbs need to be replaced.

All that is to say the wooden supports should work fine for you.

I also tried to epoxy the leg back together before, and can tell you to not waste your time with that. ;)
half of the leg is at the bottom of my fish tank lol
so technically i have only half the part of the leg. the half in the water is not retrievable...maybe a crab will push it out someday :eek:

·
Sumpless Girl
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
well i got the wooden legs up lol
the two large blocks thats where its legless. i stuck some camo duct tape on it just to secure it more. i still didnt feel it was secure enuff, i just dont trust this thing, so i added a few more wood trim things that i found around the house (i will buy more appropriate blocks in a few days)
while doing this my five year old found three screws on the floor that belong to the light. i found where two of them went but one i just cant seem to figure out where it goes..oh well..i hope it wasnt important :funny:
here it is, kinda messy, and a little scary..pray it holds!
dont mind my salt creep mess lol

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
everything else seems fine :)
the new light shipped today, and their sending me a shipping label to send this one back. im gonna snatch a few legs though lol hopefully they wont notice
They know what went wrong . It's good you called . They are probably adding more plastic to the shop molds now :funny: They are alot of money . let alone the fact that you can really get hurt from it taking a belly flop into the deep end !!:agree:

·
Sumpless Girl
2,377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
They know what went wrong . It's good you called . They are probably adding more plastic to the shop molds now :funny: They are alot of money . let alone the fact that you can really get hurt from it taking a belly flop into the deep end !!:agree:
lol
the lights a piece of crap no doubt about that. it says aluminum housing, but thats like just the frame, most of it is basically plastic. the pieces that broke where the screws went into are plastic and not just the legs.
i called up when i first got it because there were no on/off switches for the fan and actinics as stated in the description. they had me on the phone for 20 mins trying to locate the switches when im like no they arent here :funny:
i figured there had to be a secret compartment or something hiding the switches..but nope they finally agreed their were no switches and that i needed a timer....:mad:
but all in all its a nice light :funny:

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.