The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I have been in the saltwater hobby for almost a year now, and I just had my first wet floor incident.
My skimmer went nuts for some unknown reason, and dump about 3 gallons of water on the carpet.

So am I part of the cool crowd now?

·
Registered
395 Posts
sorry to hear that the floor got all wet and messy
mine did the same thing i have a tube on the skimmer cup going down to a gallon jug and the next morn i checked it and about a gallon on the floor. i now have the gallon jug sitting in a small rubbermaid tub now :)

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Kullas said:
sorry to hear that the floor got all wet and messy
mine did the same thing i have a tube on the skimmer cup going down to a gallon jug and the next morn i checked it and about a gallon on the floor. i now have the gallon jug sitting in a small rubbermaid tub now :)
THat is the exat way I had my accident. SO I put my jug in a 3 gallon acrylic tank that I made.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
tims said:
hahahah welcome to the wet bunch!
hopefully it is all cleaned up
Thanks for the gretting. I have the fans blowing right now. I also sopped it up with some towels.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Fly Guy said:
LOL, your DEFINITELY cool now :freak:
that is all I ever really wanted. When I start my 20 gallon build thread, I know I will be uber cool. With all the plumbing that will be going on, I am pretty sure that there will be some spillage.

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
having been the president of this club for many years i have invented a great tool for keeping this from happening again. it is the spillover skimmate container. it fills up and then when it gets near full there is a spill over tube that empties back into the sump. it will never flood again. it may dump some skimmate back into the tank, but that is a risk i am willing to take over vacuuming up SW off of a floor. :D

G~

·
NFMAS
3,516 Posts
I left the top off on and ended up with about 17 gallons on the floor. I walked away and started another project, came back and had wet floors. The bad thing is that I did the same thing a week later. I now have a rule that I don't take my eyes off the sump until I shut the water off.

·
Gruff But Lovable Reefer
320 Posts
BGJ223 said:
THat is the exat way I had my accident. SO I put my jug in a 3 gallon acrylic tank that I made.
i put my gallon jug in a 3 gallon tub THEN put that in a 5 gallon bucket THEN put the bucket in a 36 quart cooler THEN put the 36 quart cooler in a 30 gallon rubbermaid trash can THEN put that into a 55 steel drum. now i can't see my tank.

AG

·
Cabana Boy
2,070 Posts
welcome to the club!!! Invest in a wet/dry its probably the best thing to have. I kinda did the same thing as G, I have a 1 gallon arizona iced tea container that I use to collect my skimmate and at the very top of the bottle I have a drain that drains back into the sump. So as long as I keep up with dumping the skimmate I shouldnt have a problem and if the skimmer goes nuts itll just dump back into the system and not the floor

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I like the draining back into the sump idea. I think once this happens again, I will make that change. I have a rule, don't learn from your mistakes until you make them twice. :)

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Yep heard the flood stories so my collection cup is in a bucket. Good thing too. Can't seem to get the skimmer dialed in right so one minute got little bubbles and the next they are foaming faster than I can empty the cup.

·
Premium Member
7,007 Posts
The first time is always the hardest. Sorry that you had a spill. It's like a right of passage, though

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I am just glad that it was only a few gallons, and not my entire sump.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts