The Reef Tank banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
So we were at a pet store today getting salt and stuff. This couple was buying some sw fish for a 24 gallon tank. They told they guy what size tank and named the fish they wanted he said sure no problem. Walked off and was gone forever. One of the fish was a yellow tang and the other was niger trigger. Well I didn't want to be one of those people that sound like they know all so I kept my mouth shut. Somehow my husband and the guy strike up a conversation and he starts asking my husband about our tanks and he told him you really need to talk to my wife I just pay for it. So he asked what I knew of the fish and I asked if he wanted the truth. He said please. So I told him his tank could not support either of the fish and explained why. I know this is long but I was really fuming inside that the store person was actually going to sell the fish to them without explaining the care they required! They got a couple of maroons and I ended up getting my first predator for the 90 I am setting up. It's tiny now so it will be fine in the 20 gallon qt tank for a couple of weeks. Details on pics tomarrow I hope. Camera phone still doesn't work probably gonna tell them to cut it off I am so fed up. Anyway gonna see about a digital cam tomarrow that way I know it will always work.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Cool Nice Save, can't wait to see the pics

fred

·
Registered
307 Posts
so did the LFS markup your purchase for blowing their previous sale? :p

...the oldest LFS in Cincinnati, Ohio is House Of Tropics. The owner is this old woman and if you ask her if this one fish is compatible with another, she always says, "Sure, no problem." I used to go in and ask her obvious stupid questions just to make myself laugh inside knowing she was completely WRONG. Quite entertaining when you're just browsing to look and know you're not buying.

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nope, Thought I was gonna have to bag up what we wanted myself. I think the guy took his lunch break or something.

·
Registered
307 Posts
jenajet said:
Nope, Thought I was gonna have to bag up what we wanted myself. I think the guy took his lunch break or something.
wouldn't it be cool if they had a discounted LFS that was 'self-serve' and it saved you like 50% off of livestock prices. you just look at their stock, net and bag you own fish and just checkout with some 16yr old teenie-bopper popping her bubblegum at the cash register.....

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep sometimes seeing how they just jab at the poor fish I want to scream. My yellow watchman lost his jaw this way. I know this because he was perfect when I picked him out but noticed on the way home his jaw was gone. Fortunatly he ate fine and the jaw is about 60% healed.

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
glad to hear jena, as far as cameras, depending on your budget, check out the nikon coolpix, they take some pretty good shots once you figure them out.

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well seeing as all my spare dough is going to the new tank budget is shot at the moment. Just gonna get a cheapo unless I can find an adapter for my older digital.

·
Stinky Slimey FEESH
2,718 Posts
My favorite LFS is not perfect but most of the people working there will tell you the truth about fish and will ask the right questions. One lady came in there when I was there and bought a tiny 1/2 gallon fish bowl, said she wanted to put "Nemo" in there - it was so silly - the whole group of LFS employees told her she was being stupid. Sometimes they can be rude but I would rather put up with that than with ignorance or outright lying......sheesh!

HHC

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Ive seen it all while helping out at the LFS.... A women came in and wated to keep a naso tang in a fishbowl until she could give it to her boyfriend as a b day preasnt

·
Sponge-tastic!!
284 Posts
I overheard our nearest LFS (one which we no longer go to), telling a customer that every Mandarin that they have ever gotten eats Brine Shrimp. I remarked that it was rare and he backed it up saying that they only feed Frozen Brine, not live.

Sure enough, the customer walked out with a $50, beautiful (yet skinny) Green Mandarin. My wife and I just shook our head and left.

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
:doh: OMG Doug I am so glad you caught that! I reread the post and caught what I did, which was totally not on purpose if anyone read the early version and knows the mistake I made.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
jenajet said:
:doh: OMG Doug I am so glad you caught that! I reread the post and caught what I did, which was totally not on purpose if anyone read the early version and knows the mistake I made.
I doubt that there is anything to worry about.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
I saw that last night and didnot think anything about it. based in the context that it was in I am sure nobody was offended.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts