1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all stats:

20 gal long (2 months old)
130watts (PC 2x65w fixture) timed
30 gal sump (cheato, UV, and wet dry over rock)
Aqua C Remora PRO powered by Iwaki md 20rlxt
return iwaki mdrlt 20
20lbs LR
.5 inch sand stirred everyday
2 clowns (mated)
various soft, LPS, SPS
water change 10% weekly RO/DI
Nitrites - undetectable
Nitrates - Undetectable
Ammonia - Undetectable
Phosphates - pretty **** low
Ca- ~450ppm
dKH -10-12
Ph 8.3
SG 1.025
78 degrees F

So my Diatom bloom has never really ended and the hair algea is just coming on strong... i use a turkey baster to blow off all my rocks multiple times a day. i stir the sand multiple times a day. i try to keep the detritus in the water column as much as possible. my Remora PRO is pulling out a half cup of wet skimmate a day. i am controlling all parameters yet i cant control the diatoms and now the hair algea. what am i missing? I have 20+ snails in a 20 gal long, i mean, come on, you would think they would make a dent. HELP:mad:

·
I'm Back
1,686 Posts
If its a new tank it will go through algae cycles for about a year.

Make sure your RO?DI output water is 0 TDS and keep removing the algae.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rob_Reef_Keeper said:
If its a new tank it will go through algae cycles for about a year.

Make sure your RO?DI output water is 0 TDS and keep removing the algae.
really though how do i remove it? i cant just pick it out. this stuff is too short and very strong. i cant use tweasers. so i need to take my rock out of the water, scrub with toothbrush (kill everything else on it) then put it back in and rearrange it?

·
11,345 Posts
The .5 inch sandbed and stirring it every day isnt really a good idea. You need several inches more than that to be an effective sandbed for denitrification and you DONT want to stir it unless it is something you vacuum up entirely on a regular basis. That in itself could be a large factor in your algae problems.
I would also encourage more descript water test results taken with salifert brand test kits. Im willing to bet your phosphate number is much higher than you think it is.

IF you test with a good test kit and confirm what i think you should invest in a phosban reactor($30) and it will help tremendously assuming you arent adding the ophosphate with your water cahnges

·
Premium Member
5,051 Posts
20 snails is way too many for a 20 gal tank - remember, one day the algae will go away and your snails will starve to death. That being said, I had the same problem as well (minus the hair algae) for about 2 months in my tank before the diatoms went away. Three things helped me. 1 - I switched to ro/di water with 0 TDS. 2 - I suctioned out as much of the brown algae that I could every day which reduced the diatom load in the tank. 3 - time, simply waiting for the bloom and cycle to run it's course until all of the diatoms were bound in sponges or other organism or removed from the system by siphoning. You might want to send a dozen snails back to the store and pick up a few hermits or an emerald crab. I have 6 snails in my 30 and am afraid they might starve down to 3 or 4.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In have 10 dwarf red legged hermits as well. the snails are quite small. not turbos or astrea but like nassirius. i want the sand bed out of there and will do that this weekend. its just too much trouble. i use salifert for my Ca and dKH/alk. i use Apharm for all the rest. I use RO/DI from safeway which they claim is cleaned and membranes switched frequently. i cant imagine what tap water would do...

·
Registered
5,426 Posts
chandlerchris said:
In have 10 dwarf red legged hermits as well. the snails are quite small. not turbos or astrea but like nassirius. i want the sand bed out of there and will do that this weekend. its just too much trouble. i use salifert for my Ca and dKH/alk. i use Apharm for all the rest. I use RO/DI from safeway which they claim is cleaned and membranes switched frequently. i cant imagine what tap water would do...

I would run a water test on the water you are buying from safeway. you might be surprised. JMO.
Brent. :wavey:

·
11,345 Posts
i believe that a ro/di and control of the most important thing we add to our tanks(water), is a must have for every reefer.

Good luck, ive been there(along with many others) and it IS frustrating

I do have to disagree with the concept that you have too many snails........im not real fond of the ones you have....astreas to ceriths...2 to 1 is a pretty good mix. Regardless, at this point keep em in there. They arent going to starve now and when they do you know youre getting there. Probably get some flack for that comment so i will just apologize in advance now. :p

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
you could have gotten phosphate laden LR. the HA is just removing it. keep plucking it and siphoning out any detritus during water changes. make sure the LR is suspended over the LR so that you can get any detritus turgored out by the bacteria. this may take a while depending on how phosphate laden the LR is.

G~

·
Registered
274 Posts
yea the same thing has happened to me so i kno what your going through, but i just recently turned my rock over and now i dont even see it any more

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
When I bought my 29g tank, it had tons of hair algae. The lady who had it also said she stirred the sand frequently. When I Got it, I changed the water excessively, and I didnt stir the sand. Sounds like you have the water changes down, but you are stirring the sand. Im not a pro or anything, but thats what I Would think it is.

For what its worth, lately Ive been having algae problems on the top of my sand bed. I bought this API "Stress Zyme" about 3 days ago, and its helped tons. Its basically just millions of bacteria which have made my layer of brownish/redish algae on top of my sand bed virtually dissapear. Im imaging it would do the same for hair algae, but fortunately I overcame that problem.

Also, me adding the bacteria reduced my algae. You stirring the sand and removing all the stuff that comes up, in turn seems like youre removing the bacteria that eats the algae (or whatever causes the algae). Im not sure if its the bacteria that eats this stuff, but it seems like it from my deductions?

·
Tang Lover
7,326 Posts
chandlerchris said:
i cant just pick it out. this stuff is too short and very strong. i cant use tweasers.
This doesn't sound like Hair Algae to me. this sounds more like what I have in my softie tank. It looks kind of like lots and lots of little long-stretchy balloons bending and twisting?

When you touch it, it's hard/crunchy? And hard to remove, but when you DO get ahold of a clum, a good grouping of it comes off?

If so, keep up on your husbandry, and over time...it will starve. I had this stuff in my softie/zoa tank...and after abour 4 or 5 months of regular water changes, it started fading to white, and eventually just falling off/dissolving.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ok. i think this is wierd. i actually believe the type of aglea that is growing all over my rocks is CHEATOMORPHA. i think chunks of it from my sump broke off and have seeded all over my rock now. at first it did not resemble cheato at all but now it looks just like it. what to do? remove it from my sump?

·
Premium Member
5,051 Posts
Try to post a pic of it. From what I understand, Chaeto doesn't really spread like Caulerpa does - that's why so many people use it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts