The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what does everyone here think of crabs. right now in my tank i have 3 emerald crabs, and a sally lightfoot. i kind of have a feeling that they are becoming destructive in the tank as far as fighting with the cleaner shrimp and whatnot. I'm not so sure that i feel safe leaving them in the tank anymore only because i have seen them more than once try to grab at a passing fish. do you think that i should consider finding them a better home? they are definately an interesting part of the tank to watch interact, but i do not want to let them become a threat to anyone else. also consider that i will be remodeling the tanl to incorporate polyp corals in a few weeks, so take that into consideration as well.

thanks guys

jim

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
My sally is a good crab, I am not familiar with emerald crabs but know that hermits will kill off snails. U could put them in the refugi.

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Hey fly, that's not the crabs he was talking about! Jeesh you kill me.

·
Registered
274 Posts
here we talk about fish and tanks
you should ask a doctor not us

no j/p
i got a crab in y tank and he helps clean things up and knock most things over so i dnt mind too much i just gotta find a perfect place for all my coral

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks fly, but i cleared that problem up a few months ago. :) j/k

as far as the emeralds though, i am more than likely obsessing over small things again, but i was just curious to see if anyone out there had any bad experiances with having crabs in there set up

·
uber-stupid
4,781 Posts
The emerald will not eat fish unless they are dead or really small. They will however eat polyps and many other softies not to mention coraline.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i am going to be getting some colony polyps once i get my metal halide lighting set up. do you think that the carbs will be a problem for this set up? should i move them to the refugium with the anemone and the plants or should i just sell them back

·
Premium Member
5,051 Posts
I think I read somewhere that you shouldn't keep so many of those crabs in a tank together. I'm also not quite sure how you would catch them without tearing apart your rockwork. If I were you, I would probably get rid of all but one crab, probably keeping the sally unless you have a bubble algae problem.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks hng. i think i am going to try to catch them as i can and release them into the fuge until i get all three and them move tem back to a lfs . i want to try to make this as perfect a tank as possible.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
so maybe then i'll keep the crabs. lets just hope for the best and see what happens when i introduce the corals

·
Retired Wanderer
17,194 Posts
Wow didn't know a bunch of crabs are bad (and not the kind in the bunkroom when I was in the Navy...ewww). I am picking up a Sally Lightfoot to go with three emeralds and wanted to get a couple of those pom pom kind.

Hey, just love inverts and the more crabs and shrimps the better. :thumbup:

·
I've got the REEF rash!
61,658 Posts
A doctor can help you out!You should tell the other about it!lol:doh:
Fly Guy said:
they make this cream you see.....

sorry......:( :rolleyes:

personally i hate crabs, all of them and dont even use any in my clean up crews. I dont keep any besides acrocrabs.

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
I had the same crabs in my tank and all I can tell you is my small fish kept disappearing and all my snails disappeared as well. I try to stay away from them now

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Well I currently have a Sally and an Emerald in my 60 gallon, have not had any issues yet.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts