The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes that is right... I have finally CLENZED my SOUL... I finally did it... Before I get to many of you worried I will explain.... I finally tore into my tank to catch that **** Yellow Tailed Damsel (witch I was told was a green chromis at the time of purchase)... Yes I ended up removing half of my live rock and it took over an hour to get it done but I finally caught that little son of a #$%#%.... And no I didnt take him back to the store for credit.... (not too much gradification in the loss of $50 in fish to his hungry little jaws) And no I didnt even sacrafice him to the porclin god..... NOT enough gradification there either.... I thought it was quite satisfing what pain I put him through... Although it was a bit to quick...... um um .... BUT IT FELT GOOD!!!! I SMASHED HIM ON THE PAVMENT WITH A HAMMER!!!!!! not much left of him.... Over all of this I have learned one thing..... Damsels belong in HELL with Satin not in a beautiful tank...!!!!!!

But my final worry is what will happen with my water quality stirring all of the crud up.... Am I going to have a Nitrate spike then it will slowly go down or ???? How do I need to deal with this problem????????? Please help....

·
Registered
27 Posts
I had to make a mico spear gun years ago when my son put a small pin fish in my 180 gal....... he was too fast for that. I finally got the smallest hook available and used a glass shrimp to catch him. about twenty minutes later as he sat on my hook in my backyard canal, he turned into snook food, which in turn turned into dinner for us all.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
anyone have any advice on my water? am I going to have to watch it? How long am I going to have to wait to see if there is going to be spikes before I can add some new fish.... Is this going to hurt my anenome (it is a condy nothing expensive) or any of my invertibres?

·
Registered
290 Posts
Should always be watching your water. MOst guys can eyeball the tank and get a rough idea how everyone is doing, but that doesn't replace testing. My tank is 10 months old I test daily.

Before you buy any new fish or coal see if you can pick up

And

You can get them right here..
http://www.thereeftank.com/books/

Great books and will give you a lot of useful info on compatability and such. That way ya don't have anymore incidents like, Ummm, the one in your driveway ;)

Mike

·
BRW member
2,610 Posts
awwww. smashing with a hammer?!? (I'm such a softie...)

I guess I cant say anything since I didnt lose $50 worth of fish to him and I didnt have to tear down my tank to get him....but oh well. at least the worst is over! now lets educate everyone on the horrors of damnsels BEFORE they put them in their tank!!! :D

·
Premium Member
34,435 Posts
sorry, you felt it necessary to smash the little guy. it was just doing what it does in the wild, protect its little part of the reef. damsels are not truely bad critters if given enough room! they need the same size tanks as tangs.:eek: they will parcel off a part of the reef and protect it. it is not their fault that we keep them in tanks that are smaller than the territories they would like to keep in the wild. they are mean in order to protect enough area to feed themselves, which is a lot of area. the little buggers are just unlucky enough to be able to handle the toxins of a new tank better than any other fish. i hope that soon they will not be sold for this purpose anymore, now that we have found other methods of cycleing a tank.

you may get another ammonia spike as the stuff rots again. whenever a mass stirring is going to occur i try and cover all of my intakes with a sponge so that i can collect as much of the crud as possible for export. sometimes i will have to clean the sponges every hour for a while to keep the flow up to catch even more. that crud is the evil end detritus that is always talked about. stirring is agreat way to remove it, if you can remove most of it before it starts rotting and causing an ammonia spike.

poor little guy. :(

G~

·
Registered
57 Posts
Not that I am trying to be all "PETA" like, but was smasing it with hammer on the sidewalk the best way to rid you of this "demon"?

I read once that the best way to euthinize a fish is to drop it in boiling water. Does anyone have a suggestion on the most humame way to euthanize a fish?

Perhaps a hammer on the sidewalk is the most humane way????

·
Super Moderator
22,410 Posts
Ditto on Geoff's comments,,,wat, the LFS too far to take it back?
not along the lines of a good reefkeeper,,,IMO,,,,
a lil' too over the top here,,,,,:(
a yellow tailed VS green chromis?,,,looks like someone needs to read up a bit on fishkeeping,,,,,
a flame -free forum here,,,,i'll keep my thoughts to myself,,,,:eek: :eek: :mad:

·
Registered
842 Posts
I'm sorry but that is just plain mean for smashing the fish. :mad:
You were the one who was at fault thinking it was a chromis and it was damsel. Next time bring it back to the store!

·
Super Moderator
22,410 Posts
aquadude said:
Cool transformer/demon thing, but does it relate to this thread?
YUP, gets the thoughts/feelings across,,,,,,,:mad: :mad: :mad:

·
BRW member
2,610 Posts
i have always heard that putting them in a small cup of aquarium water in the freezer is the most humane way...thats what ive done with fish that I was sure werent going to make it (which was only twice ever).

·
Super Moderator
22,410 Posts
salt creepette said:
i have always heard that putting them in a small cup of aquarium water in the freezer is the most humane way...thats what ive done with fish that I was sure werent going to make it (which was only twice ever).
that would take compassion/forethought/brains,,,,
sorry, but even i have my limits,,,,,

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Hey Buehlz! I feel your frustration about the damsel but like others have stated you went over the line with this fish! I had a maroon clownfish that I hated so bad but finally tore down my tank and caught her and returned her to the LFS!
As people have stated they are only doing what is natural for them and I have 5 damsels in my reef but they all have their little part to protect and have no problems and they are in with a tomato clown and a copperband butterfly!
Makes me wonder your real love for your reef tank and it's inhabitants that you have under your care! JMO Johnny:(

·
Administrator
47,660 Posts
OK enuf lectures, the point has been made.
There are ongoing debates on the most humane way to euthanize, should it be necessary. I think drpping in icewater and freezing is prolly fairly humane for the faint of heart. Actually decapitating in one clean stroke is prolly fast and pain-less. I suppose smashing it with a hammer accomplishes the same thing in about the same amount of time, tho I think it comes across as more violent, esp when venting rage . However as pointed out the damsel was just being himself.
I resent that so many LFS still push damsels as cheap throway fish to cycle with or don't explain to newcomers just what their personalities are like.
I dont expect every LFS empoyee to be a walking encyclopedia on fishes behaviour but criminy , damsel behaviour is got to be the best known of any marine fish. They are cheap and cute and everyone gets one or more, usually sooner than later.
2 problems with Forums like this, usually we get new members after they do the initial setup and have problems, and come here for advice.
The other is that maybe 10% of people in the marine hobby use the internet as a info resource. That means that for every new reefer we help get on track there are 9 more out there that will spend way too much, kill way to many , and better then 50% will quit in disgust after 1-2 yrs tops.
Thats I find very , very , sad :(
Please remember that a big part of the education process is teaching someone why an action is not a good choice, and giving them options not lectures and chastisement. Believe me I have solved problems in ways I would never admit to on open forum and I suspect most have as well.
Hopefully it will be a learning lesson for all :)

·
Super Moderator
22,410 Posts
Doug1 said:
OK enuf lectures, the point has been made.
There are ongoing debates on the most humane way to euthanize, should it be necessary. I think drpping in icewater and freezing is prolly fairly humane for the faint of heart. Actually decapitating in one clean stroke is prolly fast and pain-less. I suppose smashing it with a hammer accomplishes the same thing in about the same amount of time, tho I think it comes across as more violent, esp when venting rage . However as pointed out the damsel was just being himself.
I resent that so many LFS still push damsels as cheap throway fish to cycle with or don't explain to newcomers just what their personalities are like.
I dont expect every LFS empoyee to be a walking encyclopedia on fishes behaviour but criminy , damsel behaviour is got to be the best known of any marine fish. They are cheap and cute and everyone gets one or more, usually sooner than later.
2 problems with Forums like this, usually we get new members after they do the initial setup and have problems, and come here for advice.
The other is that maybe 10% of people in the marine hobby use the internet as a info resource. That means that for every new reefer we help get on track there are 9 more out there that will spend way too much, kill way to many , and better then 50% will quit in disgust after 1-2 yrs tops.
Thats I find very , very , sad :(
Please remember that a big part of the education process is teaching someone why an action is not a good choice, and giving them options not lectures and chastisement. Believe me I have solved problems in ways I would never admit to on open forum and I suspect most have as well.
Hopefully it will be a learning lesson for all :)
YUP! WELL SAID Doug!;)

·
Registered
398 Posts
Let me play devils advocate

Everyone here acts like they are a member of PETA when it comes to their reef tank. Ever thought that they think of it as a $4 fill that is perishable?

That the tank is not something sacred and holy!! That it is a hobby and something just to look at, something pretty in the living room.

That they look at it as yes, try to save the lives of the critters because that is the economically smart thing to do.

Anyhow, not that I advocate all the critters as throw away, or that the reefs are not in danger . . . . . .
but sheesh, these are not humans we are keeping in our tanks.

·
Registered
807 Posts
That they look at it as yes, try to save the lives of the critters because that is the economically smart thing to do.
As someone else said on this board, all fish we buy are going to die in captivity because they will never be released to the wild after they spend x number of years in our care they will die, usually because of our stupidity or an equipment failure. We are paying for our love of the critters with money and they are paying for our love of them with their lives.:idea:

·
Registered
27 Posts
OMG! ..... Relax! I too have felt the frustration brought on by a LFS or a innocent action of a child. Thanks Doug1, it almost worked, please, common sense everyone.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts