The Reef Tank banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
in my aquarium. Actually, my friend does in his aquarium.

Heh, seriously. I've seen hair algae before...don't think that this is hair algae, but it does have some of the same characteristics. As in long and stringy. It doesn't seem to have any color to it and it grows very quickly. His parents brought him some seaweed from the beach...I was thinking it may have something to do with the "problem". Any suggestions? Is this stuff bad? Where is it from?

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The stuff is too translucent...and flowing about in the tank for me to get a picture of it that would work. I know its not much to go on...what are the possibilities?

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
seems more like a slime coat from something the way you describe it, like a wrasse coccoon, or something from a ticked off coral.

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Don't recommend adding stuff from wild. You never know what your adding to your reef and what impact it would have. Could be ticked of corals or the little worms. I don't remember what they are called but they are usually on live rock, red in color, spiral shaped and during feeding or agitating the water they send out a web like material for filter feeding.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No...the current breaks it apart every now and then as it gets longer. I don't know why he put the seaweed in his tank...he knows better. I guess he didn't want to hurt his parents feelings.
It's a fish only tank and he's had it set up for only about 2 months. Maybe it is hair algae...I just don't think it is though. I'm gonna take my digital camera to his house today and see if I can get a picture.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts