The Reef Tank banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I leveled my tank stand and it was slightly unleveled. I went to Lowe's lumber store and got a few wood pieces for underneath the stand. Well it worked but now I have a gap in the middle of the bottom of the stand. So my concern is that it might crash or break the stand. Petsmart suggests that I don't have the wood pieces underneath the stand and let it slightly tilt they feel with it being a little tilted that it won't hurt anything. What do all of you think??? Please reply and that means everyone please I really need your help. I would like to get this tank set up tonight. Please answer and also check out the photos that will explain what I'm talking about. Thank you.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Now before you all freak out, I understand that tanks can get really heavy and that it's vital to have a good stand. That said, I'm having trouble finding good fish tank stands on craigslist and my lfs only has rather large stands. I'm simply purchasing a Fluval Spec V, snaptube vidmate a 5gallon tank that weighs 40-50lb max when full.

·
Shark..but a friendly one
16,014 Posts
Are you 'handy with tools'?
I just did a super quick search, and for a 'small' stand, they tend to be, well, stupid priced, or not overly pretty.

Like you pointed out, not looking for a 200 gallon stand, so would be fairly easy, and economical to build your own. And for THAT MATTER, a trip to your local department store in the furniture section, may produce a piece of cabinetry that could tickle your fancy?
Hack

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,755 Posts
Oh yeah,.. I had a 10 Gallon on a sewing table for a while. I also had a 50G sitting on a heathkit zenith console record player, and my 3G sits on my standard cube desk at work. A sturdy side table, or desk, or most furniture would probably be fine, I would stay away from pressboard construction though because constantly getting wet will make one of those look bad pretty quickly.

Whiskey

1 - 5 of 5 Posts