The Reef Tank banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well this is my second go with pulsing xenias. the first time i had them was in the 12g and they just srunk to nothing within a week so i took the remains out and threw it away. this time i have noticed the heads are missing its "fingers" if you will. not all of them but i see a few. dont seem as open today as it was yesterday. i just got these on monday. temp is 80-82(light off/light on) SG 1.024 and other parameters are 0.if you look at my website in my signiture you will see them in the middle left. i moved them to the back behind the pagoda because they were blocking other corals behind it

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
I love xenias
I had them in a 65 gallon tank that was covered with hair algae(that was before I became a member here:dance:). The hair algae was sooo bad my snails looked like little Crystal Gayle's crawling around. The Xenia's loved it they spread like crazy. Since I got my 150 ro/di unit along with a kick light bulb skimmer Ive had no luck with them. Your tank is prob too clean for them. I think they like it a little dirty(can I say that:arg:)
Sorry your not having luck with them:(.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thats probally it i have 0-10 nitrates and only feed bare minimum every other day. i feed frozen brine plus to the fish and kent expert series zoo/phyto to the corals

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
are they more hardy..........i am going to have to call my gf later and ask her how they are. i am going right to work after class so i wont get to see them. hopefully they are ok

·
Registered
257 Posts
I had the same problem. Increased the light and...WAM. The were full and splitting like mad, at least until my blue linkia starfish ate them.

·
Registered
12,076 Posts
Xenia is hit and miss but I'm sure you have heard that before.
Aint that the dog gonn truth!! :doh::doh:

And ohhh they love i mean really love dirty water. The more nitrate the better. And hey they are a filter feeder which lower your nitrate so do over feed and they will be happy :lol:

·
Registered
33 Posts
If the zenia dies, let it drape over the rock and don't take it it out. From the remains will likely grow (usually) very small zenia (one or two) that will be totally adapted to your tank and conditions.

So what looks like diaster can turn around if given time. By your third generation they become nearly bullit proof.

Once established, cut an occasional head off to keep it invigorated because if you let it totally mature it will repeat the process.

I keep mine as single specimens and they are about 4 inches in height with 4 heads.

·
Enjoy it now
4,085 Posts
my xenias I once had thrived until I cleaned up my water. They also seemed to like slow flow and receded in higher flow. I think they are hypnotic to watch ( a good thing ) but I'd prefer to have cleaner water and more colorful sps :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts