The Reef Tank banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
AAAArrrrgggg!!! So I get home last night from work around 8 and look in my tank. My really cool shroom (rhodactis carlgreni - bright red :) ) wasn't looking good, then I noticed that my frogspawn was retracted and so was my hammer. I immediatly thought my heater when out. So I looked at my temp, and Yup I was right I was at 90 degrees!!! Of course this couldn't happen at a much worse time when I am trying to hard to make my tank look awsome for the meeting this Saturday and my heater tries to fry my tank!! Dam Murphy! Thankfully I yanked the heater out in time. Everyone looks alive this morning but I won't be able to tell for sure until the lights turn back on and can see if everything opens up. The temp was down to 80 this morning, and hopefully I can keep it there. I pray that all of my livestock will make it and look great come Saturday.
Greg - I am buying a new heater from you today cause I don't have a working one :p

·
Premium Member
3,275 Posts
How old was your heater? Newer heaters are designed to fail in the "off" position to avoid the problem you came home to.

·
Premium Member
4,947 Posts
schneijt said:
How old was your heater? Newer heaters are designed to fail in the "off" position to avoid the problem you came home to.

This is true, and an awsome fail safe, however there are many new top of the line heaters (titanium) that have the separate controllers. These can come with problems of their own. If the controller goes on the fritz, so does the heater. The Won brothers digital Pro heat II is known for this type of thing happening, and either cooking tanks, or freezing them so to speak. The best thing you can do is get a separate controller, on top of your regular one, such as a medusa, or a ranco, or if you have oodles of money you could always get an aqua controller or reefkeeper.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The heater was about 4 months old or so. I would love to purchase a temp controller, but will have to wait until I have the cash :)
Thankfully there are no casualties!! So I am excited about that. The hammer coral doesn't look as happy as usual, but still alive.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hopefully you will like my tank, its small but doesn't look too bad. I just got some new zoas in on Wednesday and they haven't opened all the way up yet. One had almost no water and stunk really bad cause of some tissue loss, hopefully that will open up as well as the others for tomorrow. THey should look really great :) I also have some florida rics that I really like, hopefully you will like them as well.

·
Premium Member
1,383 Posts
Isn't it amazing that that something always happens right before people come over for a club meeting - cyano, heaters failing - what next. Glad to hear that things are looking better.

What brand of heater was it that failed? I had a heater fail once after a power outage where it would not turn on again. I didn't realize it until a couple of days later after when my fish were all stressed out and disease set in from the tank water dropping to 68 degrees.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts