The Reef Tank banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok...I'm still a little confused about the filtering setup for my tank. :(

This is what I think I'm going to do but I'm still unsure about the maintenance part:

• ditch the ceramic rings
  • use carbon once a week for ~12hrs after water changes
  • put live rock crumbles in the back chamber with the black sponge on top
  • rinse the sponges once a week during water changes
  • use a skimmer
Does this sound reasonable?

With using LR crumbles in the back chamber, do I ever clean up back there (siphon)? or rinse them off? or change them out with new LR?

This is what I'd like to keep in it:

leather corals, star polyps, mushrooms (lots of beginner corals :))
1 clown fish (maybe two if it all works out)
1 watchman goby
1 pistol shrimp
some crabs and such
maybe a coral in 6 months or an anemone some day next year

I really appreciate the help!!!
...I still have so much to learn...I just don't want to make an obvious mistake

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14,398 Posts
IMO. youre creating more maint than is needed. All you need is the LR in the tank and a strong skimmer. The bacteria on the LR will handle the biological filtration and the skimmer will handle removal of disolved solids. Keeping the LR rubble is a mess maker IMO, provides lots of places for stuff to collect and get nasty.( Allthough if you dont mind the added work of keeping that area clean it wont hurt anything) Something I strongly recomend is blowing the rocks off before water changes. Get a small power head with a piece of tubing attached to the out put and use it to blow out the ock work an hour or two before you do a water change. Youll be amazed at how much junk collects in the nooks and crannys of the rock. All the goo that is piled up after you do this will be easily siphoned off and removed. This will help to keep your rock clean and healthy and prevent algae issues on the rock.

·
Now What?
1,100 Posts
Yes get rid of the rings. The only thing I see you need is the skimmer. The rest is just extra work. unless you are trying to cut down on noise.

Sure you can keep rubble back there, but its not needed.

Why would you use carbon? Are you not using RO/DI water?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Why would you use carbon? Are you not using RO/DI water?

Yes, right now I'm using distilled water (.64/gal at winco)...i'm gettin the rodi unit in may....

I read from this link:

http://www.netpets.com/fish/reference/freshref/carbmeth.html

it says:
How much GAC should one Use
The amount that I have found to be sufficient in
  • reefs is:
    • about 3 level tablespoons per 50 gallons of actual water
    • ran once a week, for approximately 12 hours
    • I then remove the carbon, spread it out in a shallow tray and let it dry out
    • one week later I use it again for 12 hours
    • I change the carbon based on the carbon yellowing test results (see below)
    • I also maintain a 5 ppm Vitamin C concentration in the tank at all times
    • I add Vital Gold every day (based on product label recommendations)
    • all other supplements needed for reefs are added as required
I guess I thought/read that it helps to make the water clearer especially after siphoning? not so much?

I like the sound of your idea much better! just the live rock in the display, protein skimmer, good water circ, weekly water changes...

so what would i put in that chamber? nothing? just the sponge?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds too easy :D
Not that I'm complaining!

So I'll run the skimmer, just have the display LR for the biological filtration and blow off the rocks just before cleaning the tank and changing the water...I think I've got it!

You guys rock!
:bow:

Thanks for the help

·
Premium Member
5,051 Posts
So you think using carbon (along with the LR and skimmer) is the best choice for filtering a mixed tank?
Yes. It's a good starting point, and in most situations, it's all you'll ever need if you continue with regular water changes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts