The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i waited until i noticed my 1 turbo couldnt handle the alage build up..............i am atarting to get green alage on my glass so i went to my LFS and got 3 more turbo snails................that brings my to 4 turbo snail
9 nassarrous snail
3 red leg hermits
oh and one hitch hicker from my live rock purchase?

i'll see how this goes and check up on their progress to see if this is enough for my 45 gallon

·
Premium Member
24,599 Posts
If thats not enough for your tank then you need to cut back on feeding and do more water changes. Don't want to keep adding crean up crew to try and keep up with cleaning, get to the root of the alge and fix it. Your tank is pretty new and will settle down if you give it time and leave it alone long enough for that to happen.

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
i agree with vince, algae is common in new tanks, and when it settles down your gonna have a bunch of snails that you cant feed. take it easy and go slow, the algae will go away in time, so dont over do the algae eaters.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well ifigured since i dont like hermits i should get a few more turbos.............beside most clean up crew charts call for a heck of a lot more then what i have for my size tank............according to every chart 4 turbo snails , 9 nassarrous snails, and 3 red leg hermits are NOT enough.........but with the very few amount of fish i have and the little i fed them this is enough

·
Sumpless Girl
2,377 Posts
i have alot of cleanup crew too, even when the algae subsides theres always something for them to eat
with all the heavy lighting we use its next to impossible to hault algae
in my 10g nano i have, 8 mexican dwarf hermits, 2 scarlet hermits, 1 nasuris snail, 2 nerite snails, 1 margarita snail, 3 cerith snails, 1 peppermint shrimp, 1 cleaner shrimp and 1 jumbo turbo snail
the turbo snail is the best grazer hands down...hes like a machine :rotflmao:
so in my opinion you can never have too many cleaners

·
Premium Member
14,532 Posts
pastina said:
i have alot of cleanup crew too, even when the algae subsides theres always something for them to eat
with all the heavy lighting we use its next to impossible to hault algae
in my 10g nano i have, 8 mexican dwarf hermits, 2 scarlet hermits, 1 nasuris snail, 2 nerite snails, 1 margarita snail, 3 cerith snails, 1 peppermint shrimp, 1 cleaner shrimp and 1 jumbo turbo snail
the turbo snail is the best grazer hands down...hes like a machine :rotflmao:
so in my opinion you can never have too many cleaners
I have heard the recommended number of turbo's is 1 per 20g I think. Mine all starved in my 24g I had 4

·
Premium Member
14,398 Posts
The whole issue isnt how many snails we need to keep a clean tank. Snails dont fix the problem, they just clean up the mess. Algae needs something to feed on. The food comes from us overfeeding our fish/coral, in-adequate nutrient export, lack of good husbandry habits. Our tanks are closed systems, eveyrthing we add stays till its removed. In order to remove we need good flow and strong skimming along with regular water changes and cleaning habits. If you are over feeding then reduce the amount you feed. Fix the root of the problem then you wont have outbreaks of algae. Snails can get to the algae but they cant get to the nutrients that build up in the nooks and crannys of the rock or under the sand. Till thats gone or reduced/elimanated by proper care, you will continue to have issues and maybe even get to a point that it cant be controlled.

Robert

·
Premium Member
14,398 Posts
I had 12 turbos in a 150 with 7 fish, no alage, and two snails died from starvation. I gave 4 back to the LFS and still had no alage. 2 blue leg hermits and a large hermit and that was it.
I had strong flow and an excellent skimmer. NO ALGAE!!!!!

Robert

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i only have 3 small fish so feeding ...............probally wouldnt even register...................i am turning over 1120 gph in my 45 gallon

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
its 2 months old..............i feed the tang a 2x3" nori on a clip............the 2 damsels pick at it.............and the damsels about 10-15 flakes

·
Premium Member
14,398 Posts
How often? Thats alot of fish in a 2 month old 45 gallon tank. The tank isnt done cycling yet (a true cycle takes around a year) and if you are feeding that much frequently I quarantee its adding to the issues of a new tank. The mistake alot of us make is going to quickly with a new tank. the best thing to do is let the tank find its own balance before we start to add fish. if we rush then we are setting our selves up for a whole list of problems in the future.

Robert

Robert

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i am very careful..............having two fish only for years i did those things in the beggining of my first tank................my ammonea hit 0 2 1/2 weeks in ............weather it was because of the LS or LR i dont know but im not arguing.............the nitrites hit 0 3 days later.............andnitrates are fine...............

·
Premium Member
14,398 Posts
Im not trying to argue either! There is more to a cycle than the ammonia and nitrates. There are several algae blooms and such that must take place. The sysle is a long process of the tank finding its own equalibrium. Whe you have that much being added to the tank so early on it makes it harder for the tank to settle. Just trying to help you avoid some problems down the line...

Robert

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
oh god i had that brown alage bloom...............made my reef sand and water look like crap for about a week...................oh i have a dump question....................never used this before so i dont know..................are you suppose to siphon live ref sand...............first of all if i siphon it ............it will get sucked up with the water becaus eits so small

·
Premium Member
14,398 Posts
Thats a tricky one. Ive alwayts done BB tanks but, you can and should siphin. Either do it so the siphon is up off of the sand enough to just get the l;ight detritus that has settled on the surface or pinch the tube a bit to slow the force of the flow. The trick is to just get what settles and not the sand. Im sure others can give you better info on this subject!

Robert

1 - 20 of 36 Posts