The Reef Tank banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was looking in my tank and see a lot of babies swimming around. I have no idea what or where they came from. I know I got a rock of button polyps that must have had eggs on it. I don't have two of anything so I know nothing is breeding in the tank. I know my fish are going crazy eating these things up tho. Just thought is was strange but fun to watch! Reading over this now quess I do have an idea of where they came from it's the only thing I can come up with is that they hitched with the rock.

They look like baby shrimp. I can see legs on them. I feed live brine that I hatch but these are way bigger. My coral banded is all alone so they can't belong to it. Do shrimp lay eggs?

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have those too. Look like little roaches. These are smaller and are making a good snack for the fish.

·
Premium Member
15,839 Posts
I'm pretty sure they're some type of Amphipods if they're shrimp-like .....lots of stuff in those live rocks!! :)

Dick:)

·
Registered
616 Posts
FishDaddy said:
Sounds like you've had a hatch of Amphipods. They're good guys, eating algae and providing food for other critters.

There's lots of varieties but here's a common one: http://www.ittiofauna.org/webmuseum/invertebrati/anfipodi/index_big.htm

Dick:)
I get some like what you have in the picture. I also have some that look like tadpoles with legs. They like to run around on flat surfaces really fast and can "jump" onto rocks when they need to. I saw one get snatched up by my tomato clown the other day when he got too close!

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yep and the fish loved them. Havn't seen anymore but they were most active when the lights first came on. Will see if any more show up when lights come on this morning.

·
Registered
56 Posts
little babies

sounds like mysid shrimps have begun to reproduce, very good. i have a lot in my tank and my rainford goby always goes after them:thumbup:

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have them too. They run in and out of the holes in some of my live rock. I wasn't sure what they were when I first saw them. I spent several hours looking on line, but never found anything. I am glad to hear that they are okay in the tank. They do seem to die off fairly quick as I have seen them floating through the tank water on occassion.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
There not active because the fish ate them all. :lol:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts