The Reef Tank banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been trying to get my 24 gallon Aqua Nano to cycle for about 2 weeks now and my numbers still don't jive. I used the live rock, water, etc from my old 55 gallon which all my number were perfect.

Here are my results today from my 24 gallon test:

PH 7.8 using Kent Superbuffer DKH
Ammonia .04 using Seachem Prime
Nitrate .00
Nitrite .00
Salinity 1.21
Alkalinity, water doesn't turn yellow-gree till after 25 reagent drops.

Any thoughts??

Kenny G.

·
Clown Fish!
395 Posts
Nano's are tough, I would give it a couple more weeks to cycle. Even if the stuff was from an established tank it will cycle. I would, however start to buffer the water a bit to get the PH up. One thing I have heard to fix problems like this is to so a partial water change more often. Whey dont you change a gallon of water twice a week. This may help. Since you are dealing with a much smaller water volume the frequant changes will help a lot.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thankyou,

I was thinking something like that. I did a 5 gallon change last Wednesday, b ut it didn't change a thing. I just retested the 55 and still is running fine.

Kenny G.

·
Thaumoctopus mimicus
390 Posts
I just sort of assume things will cycle and am happy if they don't.

If you are adding Prime directly to the tank, that could be the source of your problems as well. It should only be added to your change/top off water before you add the water to the tank or it starves out your bacteria that eats ammonia and leads to more ammonia.

I have historically had a problem with pH wanting to drift too low, so I only buffer with kalkwasser/pickling lime/cal. (The German, English, and Mexican names respectively. It's amazing how much of an upcharge there is on that German translation... like 300-700%.) It has a pH of 13 in its pure form, so it can really help with pH and it raises alk and calcium together. Put 1-2 teaspoons per gallon of RO top off water. If you don't have an RO unit, use Prime on your water and let it sit at least a few hours, though each additional day it sits allows more of the stuff to precipitate out of the water.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts