The Reef Tank banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 120gal reef tank with a Black and White Clown, 6 lined Wrasse, Coral Beauty, and Kole Tang and all the inverts you could ask for.

I have been battling a bubble algea outbreak for almost a year. At first I tried pulling the rock out and washing it but it kept coming back. Then I tried pulling the bubbles off one by one but that proved to be too time consuming. Then I tried the stick a piece of tape on them and pull method but that didn't work too well for me either. then I tried the Emerald Mithrax crabs, and by that I mean adding a few more to what I already had to begin with. I find that the crabs create more of the problem than the solution because since they end up popping the bubbles and releasing the spores it creates more of them. I even bought a UV Sterilizer which I was told would kill the spores (and everything else) but I never installed it.

ALAS!!! I have found the solution to my bubble algea problem and that is... Zebrasoma desjardini otherwise known as the Sailfin Tang - Desjardini. Mine comes from the Red Sea and does not have the Yellow Tail so I know it is the Desjardini Tang. Let me tell you...I put this guy in early January when my tank was 90% covered in the bubbles. One month later 50% is GONE and it is a pleasure to see the live rock that was oncce covered by the bubbles. I had forgotten how nice they looked and the Coraline algea was still there too! Not only that, he gets along with everyone! ~Yes I have to clean my overflow from the loose bubbles that get trapped from time to time but all I have to say is this fish is well worth the money and the wait if your local fish store doesn't have one in stock as was the case with mine. Once again, this is not the Sailfin Tang with the Yellow Tail. He is the Desjardini Tang with a BLUE TAIL and spots and he DEVOURS my bubble algea!!!

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
Welcome to TRT!!

:wavey:

yes, a lot of the tangs do like to eat Valonia algae. i had a white cheek that liked the red ones, but not the green ones.

the biggest problems with tangs is that they require large systems to be comfortable.

G~

·
Registered
827 Posts
we got a tank breakdown one time that was infested and we took the rock back to the store and we would pick off the bubble algae and throw it in with the tang and it would play with the bubble then suck it down to bad they have stopped collection from the red sea those desjardini will be sparse

·
Novel Responder
4,371 Posts
never put and two together, but I used to have a lot of bubble algae and haven't seen any in months....went down about the same time I added my mimic tang...cool.

·
Novel Responder
4,371 Posts
They clean algae, Tangs eat algae thats their diet but its good you just figure out.
Different tangs eat different algaes. I had a purple for over a year and had bubble algae problems because it wouldn't touch the stuff. It went away after adding the Mimic, which apparently did eat it. I didn't know Mimic Tangs ate that specific type of algae.

Mr. Highend, please keep the comments on this site in line with what is expected and asked for. I have seen a few posts from you in various threads that are questionable in the treatment of other posters. I'll quote the line you'll see above every post: "In this forum we discuss issues related to keeping marine and reef aquariums in a friendly flame-free environment."
I can say from past experience that Mods will jump on posts that cross those lines. Trying to save you a PM you don't want to get.:agree:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts