The Reef Tank banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I figured seeing as that here there are a large number of SPS reefers and it wouldn't help matters as they are now for they would had been far worst, I remembered to be sure to type, "Old Man Of The Sea" as I resigned up with, but still it will at sometime escape me and I would be banned by the auto system here at the reef tank. The way I remembered for now was to look in Suggestions and Feedback forum for if i didn`t, I would had typed it wrong and the ban would be on once again.

OK, I finally gotten myself the quote I been waiting for, this is why I not said anything of this because i had nothing that I could say to what everything would be, but also, due to the cost at this time for both the 240 and a all new 40 gal breeder tank, the total cost for both tanks at this time is $14,062.55. $2,311 is the total for the 40 gal breeder tank and $11,751.55 is the total to rebuild the 240 SPS tank. Last something others knew was that I had a heating unit problem, that has been fixed, that and the lost of one of my cats cost me the $3,000 I saved from Jan thru March, I will not have to raise $6,540.00 for a new AC & heating Unit. Im figuring to have for this project before this year ends, $6,000 and also, the stand & canopy for $2,400 is already paid for.

So now on the lighting, you can see if the T5 lights will hold up the end of not having only three 250 w MH on a eight foot long 240 gal tank, how you feel it would hold up? I am also however at this time, accepting donations for a old mans dream, I am really however young at heart. So here it is, now I only need to wait a year or more and the dream will become a reality and by that time, I would had waited from the first thought in planning this, more then 10 years.

Ok Buddy, for the 240 gallon reef/eel/fish tank you are looking at:
New stand and canopy ( around 40" inside)------------ = $2400.00
New sump( 125 gallon aquarium converted) ------------- =$375.00
Pump to skimmer ( provided by Buddy) -------------------- =$0.00
Pump to chiller( external mag drive md40 960 gph) --------=$119.00
Return pump to 240( sweetwater hi-efficiency 2850 gph)- =$460.00
400 lbs. of live rock( cured $6.99 per lbs.) ------------- =$2796.00
MH ballasts ( 3- 250 wt. ballasts by Galaxy)------------- =$215.00 each
Reef Optix 1 pendant and tempered lens (250wt.-3 times)-=$219.00 each
Metal Halide 250 wt. 14000k (3 bulbs)--------------------=$114.00 each
IceCap T5 4' strips( 8 sets 4 on the front 4 on back) ----- =$528.90
Cooling fans (6 - 4" fans)-------------------------------- =$332.00
Live sand ( 100 lbs. soft Fiji live sand)-------------------- =$125.00
3" pvc inserts for eels ----------------------------------- =$65.00
Glass inserts( for top of 240) ----------------------------- =$85.00
Filter media(for 125 sump) -------------------------------- =$92.65
Bulkheads and fittings( for 125 gallon sump) --------------- =$68.00
R.O. booster pump( aquafx adds 50 psi) ------------------ =$156.00
Pvc pipe work( for return lines and to new pumps) --------- =$45.00
Hang on refugium( AquaFuge Hang-on Refugium) ---------- =$335.00
Labor for all work --------------------------------------- =$2125.00

We also have as new technology on the market from IceCap a new light unit that incorporates LED lighting. With this new style of light if you get the entire light set( MH, LED's, and T5's --- 2 - 4' units) cost around $2000.00, but the LED strips (4') cost around $95.00 each. Also, in the past couple of months a new style of ballast has hit the market that enables us to use one ballast instead of three. They are priced a little more than the Galaxy unit, but you save in the long run.

For the 40 gallon breeder you are looking at:
40 gallon aquarium( doesn't come with overflows)-------- =$110.00
Hang-on overflow --------------------------------------- =$90.00
Stand ------------------------------------------------- =$195.00
Canopy (has to be custom made) ----------------------- =$585.00
Glass top ----------------------------------------------- =$38.00
T5 light strip( 4 light unit by AquaticLife with LED's) ------ =$335.00
Sump ( use one of Buddy's) ------------------------------- =$0.00
Return pump( Mag 9.5 around 900gph) ------------------- =$120.00
Heater (300 wt. unit) ------------------------------------ =$40.00
Drain and return lines------------------------------------- =$38.00
Skimmer( use one of Buddy's) ------------------------------ =$0.00
UV Sterilizer(lifeguard ultraviolet 40 wt.) ------------------ =$225.00
Labor for 40 gallon retrofit ------------------------------- =$535.00

I hope this helps you in calculating your costs. The prices that I gave you also don't include any structural work we might need to do to shore up the floors, that would be extra. Also, the labor rate quoted above is only for the work mentioned above.
James Mirgoli
President
HydroConcepts, Inc.

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
I'd do some serious shopping around. Some of those prices are over the top.

Galaxy ballasts here for $129.99 ea
http://www.aquacave.com/galaxy-250w-electronic-brmetal-halide-ballast-brby-sunlight-supply-1186.html

Reef Optix 1 pendant for $109.99 ea
http://www.aquacave.com/reef-optix-1-plus-pendantbr-reflector-by-sunlight-supply-1140.html

Six cooling fans for $332. Are you kidding?

Aquafuge Hang on Refuge, the large one is only $164.99
http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.c...ubref=AA&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=0790182000000

36" x 18" canopy for the 40 breeder available here for $140
http://www.glasscages.com/?sAction=ViewCat&lCatID=8

I could keep going but I hope you get the point.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know Jadinop, being at my age and with my disability im with little choice to none if im too ever enjoy this 240, im unable to do any of this myself, leaving it that I must depend on others if im to stay in the hobby. Even if you were to drop a few dollars here and there, it still would be up there.

Buddy

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
Could you buy the equipment and have them just install it all? With almost $2700 in labor, I don't think they need to beat you up on the equipment as well. You can cut most of those equipment costs in half.

You could also get your rock here and save close to $2000. Sometimes, they do better prices on large orders. I'd give them a call.
http://www.marcorocks.com/

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jadinop, which of these is worst off then the other. I had this guy named Jeff Voet, the owner of fish world and paid him even more then what your seeing here and he has giving me nothing in what I asked for when he set up the tank, I wasn`t home and giving him my trust, here now, I will get what you see here and I know his charging me top dollar, but if it is as you say, still if this will mean that the long wait will be over once im the money, I woull consider myself lucky to gotten started finally. That guy jeff didnt even give me the all glass build custom sump, he put in a tank less then 60 gals and the return pump was the worst, he put in only one return pump, a Rio that pumps 900 gph and the distance the water would had to travel through the pvc piping, the flow rate would had been cut in more then half. Now can you see where im coming from and how I feel about it, im not however saying im happy with the cost of it, but i think as well it is the price im paying for being disabled.

Buddy

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jadinop, You idea is great, im glad that i took a chance to get some kind of answers, also I will buy andthing else I can while the money is there for with what you listed a long it will be a savings of around $1,000, that would help a great deal for i not have to carry anything, just have it ship here.

Please, if anyone else can help with these links to cut cost which might even get me started months sooner. I thank you Jadinop and I will list the items and email them back to James telling him of the equipment i will order so to save for this is again paying for something that wasnt done right in the first place.

So far im to list these:

MH ballasts ( 3- 250 wt. ballasts by Galaxy)
Reef Optix 1 pendant and tempered lens (250wt.-3 times)
Hang on refugium( AquaFuge Hang-on Refugium)

The canopy I need to look into when im the time, im to have T5 lighting. Also the tank the one I have will not do for what im looking to do, I like to have that around the back top of the tank its build a number of inches in to the tank for protection for jumpers, im sorry I not know here now how its called, but my 240 is built like what im asking about.

Thanks Buddy

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
Looking over the list, I have to question most of the equipment choices being made. There is so much better equipment out there that could be had for lower prices. What kind of experience does this company have? According to the little info I could find on the web, they install koi ponds.

I don't see any mention of wavemaking or flow devices. If this is going to be a system designed for SPS there are better ways to set this system up. Large return pumps are not the best choice for getting flow within the tank. What about the protein skimmer and maybe a calcium reactor? Even an aquarium controller would be a nice option to automate your system.

I don't know how to phrase it any better but you are paying top dollar for average equipment. With the money that you have in mind to spend, your system could be top of the line.

You mention being disabled and on a budget. Has any thought been given to how you are going to physically maintain this monster system? What about the upkeep costs? The typical planning number is about $1 per gallon per month to cover just about every expense from electric to salt. If you are going to hire someone to do this on a biweekly or monthly basis, that monthly expense could double or even triple.

I don't mind going over the list and recomending some equipment but would need some more info on the system. Tank dimensions and plumbing specs (size and numbers of drains/returns). How about some pics of the tank and equipment that you already have on hand?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
JadinopI told him of that in a email i sent him that he mentions nothing on the water current pumps or wavemaker and one other item as well, its to read and control by dosing all things like pH, Alk, Magnesium & Calcium, I know that this machine will run $1,000 or more
Its funny, i thought the same when i seen the ballast and MH reflctors and so.

Let me ask you this, can you help me best put together the best i can get for this 240???Aftyer, i will tell him that everybody was saying the same thing, that there be far better equipment to be had here. Another thing is funny, I found that when I told james something in his earlier selections like the two return pumps, he was selecting two internal pumps, one being the quiet one and i told him their not all that quiet and arent worth the money i would spend on it, he took offensive to it and that tells me his not all that professional as he claims to be.

But im stuck with him until he wants to call it quites with me, then there is a new lfs that I gone to see some months ago, if he does calls it quits, I will go there, but not until after with the help from marine hobbyists like you, I would first buy all of the dry goods i will need for these tanks. The 240 is 8x2x2' and will have a DSB of 4" or more.

Buddy Thanks :)

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
8x2x2 can be a really nice tank and shopping around will save you a ton of money. I'll post some suggestions as I get the time and maybe some others will chime in.

Starting at the top of the list, you won't believe some of the money that you can save. These may not be the exact ones that you buy but having these comparison prices will show you how far off this company is. Even if you take shipping into account, these prices will blow away your current quote.

96x24 Oak stand $575
http://www.glasscages.com/?sAction=ViewCat&lCatID=7

96x24 Oak canopy $330

For the 40 breeder

36x18 Oak stand $230
http://www.glasscages.com/?sAction=ViewCat&lCatID=7

36x18 Oak Canopy $140

·
I <3 Fishies
1,271 Posts
I didn't read over over all the post just ruffly skimmed it. Have you considered looking into your local reef club and possibly getting a member or 2 help w/ tank install. Alot of people will do it for free to help a reefer out. My reef club members usually offer a beer or two, or offer to cover gas money.

·
Premium Member
10,625 Posts
Buddy, you are getting ripped off big time. I run a shop on the west coast and would not charge anywhere near the price this guy is plus you would get more appropriate equipment. if this is not an experienced SPS reefkeeper than i would reconsider and keep looking for someone else. Flow if the primary concern in the tank and if this guy is not putting that into account then he has no idea what he is doing.

the wavemaker and dosing equipment is expensive but worth it in your case.

Buddy, this guy is taking offense because he is playing you for a chump. you still have time while you save up the money. keep looking around for a better shop.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was banned again for another few weeks because I made the typing error once again, im glad im back in at this time.

I need to know what you think about still using the ballast that was highly recommended so highly. Im looking to go with four Sunlight Supply Lumen Max Elite HQI 250W Fixture at $167.99 each and the question is, do I still go with the two Sunlight Supply Blue Wave 7 250W HQI Dual Metal Halide Ballast , but also i would get an extra two as backup. Im speaking to James that he might complete the work needed for the canopy, even that it wont be for a year at most before I could enjoy it. But the question is all due to the discontinuing product.

I found links to were they charge for two pendants with two bulbs and glass protector with one ballast, but the pendent is under 10" wide and cost a bit more then $650 and i would need to buy two sets running me some $1350 and the one was I believe was recommended, the pendent is some 14.5" wide, much better this is.

I only touched base with James that maybe he would get this cost of the job completed with the canopy as well as with the icecap cooling fans. but also, from james quote on the T5 lighting, being it was suggested with only three 250 w MH and I will have four, what is the thought to you all on this, or would you strongly suggest switching to VHO.

I would need to know exactly which, what and type of bulbs, Thanks

Buddy

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
I really don't know how to put it any clearer, James is sticking it to you royally and you should not continue to do business with him.

I'm not a fan of dual ballasts. There is no real cost savings over the single ballasts. When one side burns out, you will be stuck buying another ballast anyway.

Four single ballasts and one spare would be more than sufficent.

I would go with 4 MH pendants and forget about the T5 or VHO options. You can add some supplimental actinic if needed but with the bulb colors available now, it's not always needed.

For less money, I would go with this reflector for lighting. Better quality in my opinion.

Reflector, Coralvue Lumenbright Wide
http://www.saltysupply.com/ProductD...e&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=GoogleBase

·
Registered
258 Posts
Do not do business with this guy, he's trying to screw you without even buying you dinner first. For some reason most people see someone with a disability and think we don't have a clue on what we are talking about. I go through this all the time because, I too am disabled. Cost has played a major role on why my tank is just now getting setup after almost a year of planning. I've done a lot of DIY stuff to cut corners, but still costs add up in this hobby as with any hobby. Sounds like you have a good idea on what you want, just need to shop around to make it happen Capt. I'd look on Craigslist as someone always selling tanks cheap. There's a guy close to me right now that has a 210g for 75 bucks and claims it's leak free. I would get it for myself if I had a truck. If you have the time to research, you can find a great deal of savings by shopping around on the internet. I too agree with trying to find a local reef club to join. As far as setup, since you are not able to do the work yourself, you could hire someone to do it for you. Make sure you do a background check on whoever you hire. Ask him/her pictures of their work. If they can't provide that or provide you with some contacts that he/she has done work for, then I would be leary of hiring them. If I lived closer I would glad to help out with getting this thing going for ya. Good Luck

1 - 15 of 15 Posts