The Reef Tank banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had the tank set up for over a year ad want to add some LR. If the rock comes wet from the LFS or I bought some from craigslist right out of a tank do I need to cure it or can i plop it into the 90gal mixed reef. I feel like I should know this but don't. :doh: thank you for the answer in advance.

·
Toyotaholic
6,700 Posts
If it is coming from an established system, such as the one on craigslist, you should have very little die off if transported correctly. Adding it to your tank should not cause a mini cycle. But you run the risk of introducing hitchhikers to the tank.

The rock from your LFS may be fine to add directly to your tank, it just depends on how long the LFS has had it "curing" in their system prior to when you purchase it.

Either way if you decide to add it directly to your tank you should test your parameters regularly and perform water changes as required.

·
Tarpon
3,793 Posts
You could put it in a holding tank with circulation to make sure all of the die off is gone...but i never have. Its really up to you. You could plop it right in if its stayed nice and wet....like in a bucket. But then you still risk the chance of transfering deitritus. I would tranfer in a bucket with water and rinse (with saltwater) really really well before I put it in my tank.

·
Aquatic Philosopher
15,434 Posts
I would hold it in a seperate container for a while just to be sure and test to see if there is any die-off. It will also give you some time to make sure you are not getting any unwanted hitchhikers such has majanos or aiptasia...etc.

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
depending on the nutrient levels of the tank you are getting the LR from. you could get significant phosphate production from the LR. why were they selling the LR? purging it for a week or so to see its detrital production would be the safe thing to do.

G~

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
depending on the nutrient levels of the tank you are getting the LR from. you could get significant phosphate production from the LR. why were they selling the LR? purging it for a week or so to see its detrital production would be the safe thing to do.

G~

Thank you Geoff for your reply. You hit on a reaon why i want to add some LR. I have read alot of your phosphate posts in here and i am begining to think that my own high nutrient level is coming from the rock i have in my tank now. I currently have around 100 lbs of live rock that was in a tank with a full die off about 2 years ago and i dont think it fully ever went back to normal. The tank is 90 gal with 20 gallon sump. I have plenty of healthy growing macro and sometimes run a phosphate reactore. Any way i thought if i add some nice healthy clean LR that would almost act a sponge to suck up some of the bad neutrience. I have a feeling this is not going to work.

Any advice?

·
Fuzzy Stick Crazy
7,319 Posts
I recently added some rock to my tank and my rule is that if your adding more than 10% to the weight of your LR you should cure it for a few days to a week to get any decaying matter or phosphate out of the rock. I aimed a strong powerhead onto my new LR for 48 hours and it blasted all the bad stuff off.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Play it smart and cure the rock for about 2 to 3 weeks.if you dont want to do it right the first time dont do it at all thats my opinion.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I would hold it in a seperate container for a while just to be sure and test to see if there is any die-off. It will also give you some time to make sure you are not getting any unwanted hitchhikers such has majanos or aiptasia...etc.
I keep hearing that you should keep your LR in a holding tank to monitor for hitchikers, even if it's already cured. So if the rock is already cured, and you put it in a holding tank with nothing to produce ammonia, would the beneficial bacteria starve?

Would it be a good idea to add a chunk of shrimp or a few drops of pure ammonia to the holding tank to sustain the microbes on the rock while you're watching for bad hitchhikers?

·
Registered
20 Posts
No the only time you add shrimp is when you are starting a new tank and it helps it cycle.if you put the shrimp in the only thing thats gonna do is mess up your already cycled tank.the best thing to do is to get a big plastic tub with a cover thats big enough to cover the rock,add water with the same salinity as your main tank and a power head or pump to move the water around and just check your parameters every day and change the water about every 2 to 3 days until it stabilizes.but remember that there will be an ammonia,nitrite,and nitrate spike before its done.and once everything levels out then you can add them to the main tank.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts