Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's some info on my tank:

75 gal. display
20 gal. long sump
10 gal. fuge
0 ammonia
0 trite
15 trate
calcium 600 (i don't dose for this unless purple-up counts)
IO salt
6 stage RO/DI
10 - 15% water changes weekly
4 MJ 1200's for flow in display
350 GPH return pump
ASM G3 skimmer
260 watt Coralife PC's w/moonlights
79 - 81 degrees
1.025 SG (refractometer)
110 lbs. live rock
3 inch sand bed

I add essential elements once a week.
i add coral excel once a day.
I was adding purple up here and there but, haven't for one week.

Live stock:
1 Blue Hippo Tang
1 Foxface Rabbit fish
1 Lawnmower Blenny
2 False Percs
20 Hermits
20 misc. snails
2 emerald crabs
1 Fire Shrimp
1 skunk stripe shrimp

5 lbs rock ruble in fuge with cheato and caulerpa.

I feed once a day.
freeze dried cyclop-eeze
Phyto plex
and either mysis or marine cuisine

The problem:

About 3 weeks ago i noticed that my Kenya tree coral and my hairy mushrooms were not opening fully. They are both currently bleaching. I've tried moving them to different locations in the tank and nothing seems to help. They look bad.

About 2 weeks ago i noticed my Baghai Cardinal breathing heavily. The next day he was dead.

About 1 week ago I noticed my Flame Angel acting very strange. His appetite was still very good but he seemed to just hang around the overflow when before he was always in and out of the rock work. Today, i found him dead on the bottom.

As soon as i had my calcium tested i stop using the purple up. I don't know what's happening. I never spray cleaners anywhere near the tank. My wife burns scented candles, but never in the same room as the tank. I tested for stray voltage and the meter reading was very low.

I have several types of zoos and they seem fine. Open and fully extended everyday.

I have no idea what is causing these issues. I thought shrooms were indestructible and my fish are dying one by one.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's young. About 6 months old. I put the fuge in about 3 weeks ago in an effort to reduce trates. Although much of what I've read on other forums indicates that trates in the range of 20ppm and under are acceptable. I'm shooting for zero.

·
Stinky Slimey FEESH
2,718 Posts
Have you checked your phosphate levels? And checked your RO/DI unit's output water? You can always ask your local fish store to check for you if you don't have a phosphate test kit (Salifert is the best, IMO).

Another thing is perhaps you stocked the tank too quickly? Did it have lots of time to cycle, and then cycle again?

I'm sorry for your losses, it's awful losing animals...

HHC

·
Sumpless Girl
2,377 Posts
15ppm nitrates arent seriously bad
you have 0 amonia
phyto-plex i hate that stuff, it always caused algae blooms in my nano tank...i ceased to use them, not saying thats the prob tho
my guess is a faulty RO
chlorine poisoning???

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I feel like i moved slowly, but when you look at the time frame it appears that i stocked it quickly. I let it cycle for a month when all levels where good. then added the clean-up crew. Then the clowns. shrimp next, then blennie. There was no less than two weeks between each addition.

·
Noo Doot Aboot It!
2,768 Posts
A suggestion unless you have corals you definately don't need the phyto-plex. I never add anything to my tank the fish food remnants usually take care of everything

·
Sumpless Girl
2,377 Posts
ive added things quickly too, at the same 2 week intervals and ive never had a die off like that
dont add anything that you cant test for, some products are loaded with crapola and youll never know if you are over dosing a one specific thing if you cant test for it
do several small water changes, that will dilute what ever is in the water. then dont add anything you cant test for
if you still have a massive die off i would suspect the RO

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have about six varieties of zoos. They are doing great. Always open and fully extended. Also have a few shrooms and the Kenya tree.

My RO is two monthes old. I bought it brand new even though it was a cheapie off E-bay.

Doesn't chlorine evaporate (if it is chlorine)? I mix my RO and salt in a trash can and let it sit with 2 power heads and a heater for at least a week before water changes.

·
The Muddy Mod
7,007 Posts
I didn't see a number for alkalinity. It may be very low with a calcium level that high.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't have an Alk test. Should i get one? All the test kits are expensive, but it's worth it in every aspect.

Thanks for all of the ideas so far.

·
Sumpless Girl
2,377 Posts
ebay is good for somethings but i was always paranoid about marine equipment from them
they sell chlorine/chromine test kits, maybe its worth a shot to test
theres other things in tap water that can be dangerous
did you add any copper to the tank?
could be the kenya tree, did it put out massive amounts of slime? did you remove it right away?
my friend had a kenya tree that went down hill and took out 2 of his only fish with it...kinda odd, no explanation, but kinda makes ya think

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
NO! Never any copper.

I didn't know Kenya's were toxic. It's still in the tank. It only opens about half way. I actually moved it closer to the lights and did a 30% water change about a week ago and it opened up good the next day, then was looked bad again ever since.

I thought shrooms were indestructible. Why are my zoos doing great and my shrooms dying.

·
The Muddy Mod
7,007 Posts
I don't have an Alk test. Should i get one? All the test kits are expensive, but it's worth it in every aspect.
YES!! I test alkalinity more that any other parm. Don't cheap out either. Get a Salifert kit. You need to be maintaining at 8-11 dKh, and get that calcium down a bit. What brand of kit are you using for that?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
How can I lower my Calcium?

I think I'm also going to switch to reef crystals. I've read that other people have had problems with high calcium when using IO salt.

·
Sumpless Girl
2,377 Posts
i am the official bad shroom keeper :rotflmao:

ive went through so many shrooms, they all shrivel up and die on me
i do have one watermelon mushroom rock that is doing great...but knowing my shroom history i wont hold my breath hehe
i keep zoo's, softies, LPS etc but those dang shrooms have me puzzled
my alk test will be coming ups today, i cant wait to see what it is :(
i use instand ocean too, but i do recall a few posts how people mix instant ocean with reef crystals to get a perfect salt...i wish i can find the post cause i have no clue how to do this properly...maybe someone can give more info :D

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
A perfect salt mix? Sounds too good to be true. I read that the Instant Ocean salt mixes are rarely ever consistant from batch to batch. If this is true, then even if you mixed IO with another type of salt, it would still be guess work. Then again, I never know what to believe on the internet.

There are just too many angles to this hobby, you can drive yourself nuts if you're not careful.

·
Sumpless Girl
2,377 Posts
ive never been more confused til i ventured online
i managed before just relying on books and common sense, now with all these internet sites all saying different things im a reef mess lol
i read bad things about all salt brands, the worst one was kent salt that posters claimed had a dangerously low alk level
im going to try and find that "salt mix" ill post back in a bit

1 - 20 of 49 Posts