The Reef Tank banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I walked in to my office and when I look at the tank I see an antena and a small red part sticking out of my open brain, looks like it ate my cleaner shrimp. Unless it was just the skin and the shrimp is hiding somewhere.
:( :doh:

·
Crazed Fish Whisperer
2,611 Posts
I am thinking maybe a molt. *crosses fingers*

·
The Muddy Mod
7,007 Posts
Would have like to see a pic of that. I hope it's only a molt. Good luck!!

·
Stinky Slimey FEESH
2,718 Posts
When the shrimp molt it can be scary, they hide for 2-3 days and their shell looks real. If you can see "meat" in the shell it's not good news, but hopefully it's just a molt. They molt, antennae and all!

HHC

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
my camera is at home so I can't get a picture. I don't see the shrimp yet but I just turned the room lights on so I hope he is sleep somewhere on the rocks.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, it is official. The cleaner shrimp is dead and the open brain got the head, I just saw my fish eating the tail part, I wonder if there was a strugle and the shrimp got torn in two.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
tashier said:
Imagine the savagery!! Fish and coral ripping the shrimp apart alive....
I know man!:angry:

I wonder how the shrimp could get in the brain to beging with, but I guess once it got a hold of it it just never let go, I can see the shrimp in my mind struguling to get away, maybe it rip itself off in half.
:doh:

·
the shutterbug mod!
2,394 Posts
aw, poor little shrimp... you have to get a flame angel in there to teach the brain a lesson! lol!

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
it has been 7hrs since I notice the shrimp in the brains mouth. The area around the brains mouth is pretty much flat now but you still can see some of the shrimp peepping out the hole. I guess it won't be hungry soon.

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
i am thinking it was a molt. it may take 24 hours for the shrimp to show itself again. it takes time to harden its new shell.

dead shrimp do not fall apart that easily. i am sure the fish would have won any tug of war over a morsel, so i would think it would still be whole.

G~

1 - 14 of 14 Posts