The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After being fustrated with my sealife systems skimmer I ordered a MR2 gen X - 40 Skimmer. I must be going crazy the skimmer was more that my light system.
:blob:

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i am hoping it will help with some of the algae

·
Tang Lover
7,326 Posts
I know you're leary now...but it arrives, you'd SOOO gonna think it was worth it.

Congrats on a GREAT purchase!!

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
A super product, make sure to clean the skimmer out the first few weeks at least once a week to get all the crap out of the foam column to keep your efficiency up. If your rate of skimming seems to drop off, always clean out the skimmer and the venturi dev9ce, looking for things like small snails, granules of misc garbage, etc that may lodge in the venturi. You will be surprised at the stuff that will come out of what looks like clean water... :D

Congrats on the purchace, you might find that if you're doing a large system, that the MR2 will need an even bigger pump (the HP pumps like the pcx-55 is a good choice) to do really large volumes.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok UM... what's a beckett?

Fred

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
Wiskey said:
Take TDWyatt's post and replace "venturi" with "Beckett". Small snails can get stuck in that thing, same with stryofoam, and wood chips.

Whiskey
yup!

I like all of mine, I have switched from about half a dozen other methods or brands of skimmers to the point where i am running various MR skimmers on all the systems now.

Wiskey is right on inserting the word "Beckett," it is a brand of venturi injection device that is probably the most efficient in injecting the air into the water stream as it rushes around a small ball with fins mounted directly in the water column in an air-controlled chamber as it enters the skimmer. By controlling the amount of air that can enter the beckett chamber, you will be able to control the amount of foam and the wetness of the skimmate. Many posts here at TRT on breaking in the skimmer and the initial adjustments needed to start using the device.

Enjoy your skimmer!

·
NFMAS
3,516 Posts
its another method of air injection. I did the beckett mod to my sealife skimmer and went back to venturi. I am not happy with my sealife skimmer either.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
is the beckett some thing that I get from MRC or is it a mod. I do myself?

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok i just fired them off an e-mail to change it if it didnot come standard

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
fchidsey said:
Ok i just fired them off an e-mail to change it if it didnot come standard
Standard issue on MRC skimmers, Andy is actualy using an upgraded version of the beckett chamber now that makes it easier to use and clean and air flow is improved for foam production. I just upgraded two of my skimmers to this (all the new ones come with it as standard) and I am going with the same design on some of my olders ones currently in use with the old beckets.

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,736 Posts
fchidsey said:
ok UM... what's a beckett?

Fred
The MRC-MR-2 is a Becket skimmer. It uses a Becket pond foam device to mix air and water, this is what gives the skimmer it's punch.

Also, that cotton ball on your skimmer's air intake clogs up way to fast, an external carbon air filter will really kick that skimmer into high gear. Otherwise just replace the cotton ball every 2 days.

Whiskey

1 - 20 of 29 Posts