The Reef Tank banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I purchased a Kent Marine Phos-Reactor and pump. This week I removed all the bio-balls from my sump and today removed the large sponge from the bottom and the Ammonia today was 0.25, So today I added live plants in my sump and live rock that I removed from my mini 10 gal. I also moved the light from my 10 and put on on the sump to give light to the plants. I broke dow the mini reef (just too much with both) and also took my skimmer to the LFS due to problems and I had to buy a new pump for that as well, so I cleaned it and now its like I have to break it in again. Also purchased a Foxface today but he does not want to come out from under the rocks maybe tomorrow and I'll get a picture to post. I'll post the picts tomorrow night to show what I did. All the lights are off and wont show well. Its been a busy day with the tank and $$ (who cares about the mortgage).

OOHH and back to my original question does anyone else have a kent Phos-Reactor and what are the good's and bads and does it sound like I'm righ on track for a healthy algae free tank?

Thanks

·
11,345 Posts
??? Im confused Bill. Youre not talking about your display tank with all the red shrooms that you have showed are you???

I use a phosban reactor to run my carbon. Running phosban is fine if it is used as a reaction to a problem, but its not something you want to plan on doing long term, better to identify the source and fix it so running phosban isnt necessary.

Why are your phosphates high??

source water?? old sand bed?? other??

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fly Guy said:
??? Im confused Bill. Youre not talking about your display tank with all the red shrooms that you have showed are you???

I use a phosban reactor to run my carbon. Running phosban is fine if it is used as a reaction to a problem, but its not something you want to plan on doing long term, better to identify the source and fix it so running phosban isnt necessary.

Why are your phosphates high??

source water?? old sand bed?? other??
Yes this is my display tank..my Phos tested 0 but still havin an algae bloom. Im using ro/di water and when testing my nitrates show high and I dont know why? When my LFS tested every thing the tests are with in levels and nitrates low. Sand bed is 1" and is about 1.5 years. I might be over reacting, but i just started to get a hair algae and my sand has a light brown algae in spots. I plan on running the phos-reactor with phos guard for 1 week then put my carbon in there. Something is causing this and I dont know why...the only thing I can think of is when on vacation the person who watched my tank and dogs used tap water to do top offs. I had a small patch on the sand before vacation. When I get home from work I will test again an let you know.

·
11,345 Posts
That 40 nitrate number is kind of a non issue at this point. Thats not high enough to hurt anything you have in your tank. That ammonia thing needs to get identified though. What test are you using?? Have you tested nitrIte???? Are you missing any large fish?? Added any rotting hunks of anything????:) just kidding.

I would get another opinion on that ammonia number either by buying a new salifert kit or having somebody else test your water to confirm it.

??

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I figured the reason for the spike in ammonia was due to the removal of the remainder of the Bio-balls and the tank was cycling again. Ill check it again tonight and see. Im using red sea test kits and my LFS stated its 0 before I removed the remainder of the bio balls. I will go to there tomorrow and have him test the water. I dont have a lot of fish and all were there last night. If any thing died it could have been a snail or blue hermit crabs.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Since the adding of kalkwasser daily to my tank it is looking great but I still have algae in the tank some hair algae and some green/brown algae on my walls and sand. My problem is I expect it to go away as fast as I got it and is not working. (Is an issue I'm working on) Well I tested my water today and here it is.

salt - 1.024
Alk - 8.0
Ammonia - 0
Nitrate 20 to 30
Nitrite - .05
Ca - 480
PH - 8.4
Phosphate - 0

1 - 10 of 10 Posts