The Reef Tank banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Learn something every day
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I only needed to fill two DI cartridges, I ordered 5 lbs of media:confused: Do I just double bag the stuff and save it? It will take a couple of years to use up this amount. It is moist in the bag so I am worried about mold or drying out. How long can I store it or are the folks at our reef club going to get free media?

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
wow. your water must be super clean when it comes in.

i use up a DI cartridge in one to two months. and i don't make *that much* water.
give or take about 20G per week or so.

J.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
I use it even faster than you JPH, our water can come in at well over 1,000 TDS in the summer.

I buy in bulk too, I just seal it up tight and it stays good for me :)

Whiskey
i ordered a different set of sediment and carbon block filters a while ago, haven't installed them yet. these are a smaller micron rating than what i'm using now. i hope that it will make a difference. if not, i'll at least know that i'm doing the RO membrane a favor :)

J.

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,658 Posts
i ordered a different set of sediment and carbon block filters a while ago, haven't installed them yet. these are a smaller micron rating than what i'm using now. i hope that it will make a difference. if not, i'll at least know that i'm doing the RO membrane a favor :)

J.
The Sedment and Carbon should not make a difference but switching from a 96% RJ rating 100 or 110 GPD RO membrane to a 98% RJ rating 75 (I think) GPD RO membrane makes a huge difference in the life of the DI.

Whiskey

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
sell the bulk of the surplus, keep enough to charge the media again maybe twice, no sense cluttering up the place with all the extra (as said by someone who is still getting rid of what's left of ~100 lbs of lab grade no-phosphate GAC... :squint: )

·
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My input water is 109 ppm and of course my output is 0. I use a 1 micron sediment filter, a carbon, and 2 DI. I replace the sediment and carbon 3 times per year. We use the filtered water for drinking cooking ice and of course the tank. I change 30 gals every two weeks.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
The Sedment and Carbon should not make a difference but switching from a 96% RJ rating 100 or 110 GPD RO membrane to a 98% RJ rating 75 (I think) GPD RO membrane makes a huge difference in the life of the DI.

Whiskey
i have a 75GPD membrane already :(

J.

·
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I bought the media from Air Water Ice one of our sponsors It is 5 lbs and was $40 and the refillable canisters were about $6-7 each.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts