The Reef Tank banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I'm new to the Saltwater Tank World, I was going to start from scratch only having the 55g BF tank that I have always used for fresh water when I ran across a guy that listed his established 55g sw tank on Craigslist. Well to make a long story kinda short I bought it this past weekend and transported it home. I used everything that came with the tank except the tank itself and the sand. And at the end of the long day I was enjoying my new tank setup.

My next step is to upgrade the lights, power heads, add more coral, fish etc. I know that I will have to let the tank go through a semi cycle before adding any coral or more fish but like I was saying I am new to the SWT world and I am not sure how long I should wait any ideas? Rite now I have around 60lb of live rock in the tank with a few mushroom coral growing on them. The fish I have in the tank as of now are a Yellow Tang, a Domino Damsel a Blue Damsel and a Coral Beauty there are also a few CUC crabs and snails. I have added some photos to my picture album if you would like to see the tank, as of now my post count is to low to attach them to the post.

· Registered
388 Posts
Welcome to TRT. I just did the same thing 2 months ago into to my 72G bow front. Take your time, Make sure you have your lights, filters, and power heads, all up and running right before adding any thing more. I am going to make my first addition this week. By the way what are you planning on doing for water changes did you get a RO/DI system from him?

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The tank is all up and running with everything rite now just going to do some upgrades to it. No he did not have a RO/DI unit, when I moved the tank I used like 85% of the old water and got the rest from wal-mart's RO machine. I was just looking at the RO/DI setups thy sale on ebay and think I will be installing one here soon. Having to go somewhere to get RO water is a pain.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.