The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got absolutely no clue what to do. I've been so dang intimidated for so long, but today...I did something that I've been telling myself that I could do and should do for a long time.

I bought some zoos, some yellow star polyps, and some mushrooms.

Now...what is the best/easiest way to make sure my wife doesn't kill me for killing them...not because she cares about them, but because I would've wasted money on them.

·
Premium Member
6,679 Posts
Those are all hardy corals and as long as your tank has cycled, you have decent lighting (they would probally even live under standard flourscents) filtration skimmer, and do your WC and all parameters are in check you should be fine. Dont worry if the Zoas and YSP take a few days to open sometime they are finicky like that. GOOD LOCK :)

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They have already opened...almost everyone of them.

Everything is looking okay for now.

Funny thing...I used to be a Fish Only guy. Then I was a LRFO. Now I have zero fish and I've got LiveRock and Reef.

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
can we get a description of you setup ?? filtration, lighting, water pareameters, ect.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ummmm...46 gal. bowfront, AquaC Remora Pro w/Mag 3, 2 Tunze Turbelle Nanostream 6025's, one powersweep 226, 55 lbs of liverock, a dsb of aragonite.

Parameters currently stand at .022 salinity, 0 nitrite, 10 ppm nitrate, 8.2 ph, Calcium is 420 ppm, Alk is 2.4 meq/l

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh the T5's to be more specific are this:

36" Aqualight T-5 Fixture Double Linear Strip
21W 10K T5 bulb and 21W True Actinic 03 T5 bulb

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am thinking about getting more lighting, but I'm not sure if its needed. I would like to get rid of the fluorescent altogether.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well...should I have placed them lower in the tank or higher or what...i just read another thread and dude was scared he would burn his zoas up. should i be as concerned?

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
with most corals i would star lower and work your way up but with t-5 i think in time you can work them pretty high up

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
so i should start them low...if not all the way on the bottom?

the lfs i got them from was running metal halides and they were 20k bulbs which weren't but maybe 36" off of them.

·
Pinch That Penny
2,240 Posts
I believe with those lights it's not gonna matter where you put them in the tank. I don't think they can get shock from that little of a light. If you upgrade lights though you are going to be in for a huge surprise cuz ur corals will look so much different. (for the better)

·
Registered
140 Posts
I always tell the wife to come look what is growin gout of my live rock now. :lol:

Well it worked for a while anyway.:rotflmao:

·
I've got the REEF rash!
61,660 Posts
I believe with those lights it's not gonna matter where you put them in the tank. I don't think they can get shock from that little of a light. If you upgrade lights though you are going to be in for a huge surprise cuz ur corals will look so much different. (for the better)
I agree! It's not much lighting it shouldn't sock,but lookung for more.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for all the advice...I've got one more question though.

I currently add PurpleUp, Kent Marine Strontium & Molybdenum, Seachem Reef Carbonate, and Seachem Reef Plus to my water. I have noticed quite a few copepods on the glass of my aquarium and to be honest I think I see them on top the water and the flow brings them down into the water column. My question is...will my current regimen of additives and once a month water changes be enough?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts