The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well... with the help of a friend i am getting a 300 gallon setup. It has no plumbing yet so i will have to do that. what i want to know is a few things...

1. what is the turnover (gph) that i should have on the system if i have fish and coral.
2. How big of a skimmer am i gonna need to do BB
3. how many GPH should i set up on the bottom CLS and the back CLS when i move to sps
4. how do you scrape the front of a 30" tall tank without putting on scuba gear?

that is it for starters. odds are i will set one side up as a reef and leave the rest with minimal light for fish to swim around. that way i don't need as many mh setups.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Congratulations!
I have always been told that between 8 and 15 times the tank volume for turnover. But others say to calculated the water velocity through the sump to some ??? flow rate somewhat determined by the size and flow to your skimmer. Then use some alternative method like Tunze's or other powerheads to increase the current in the tank. Sound kind of criptic sorrry I couldn't be more help.

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,720 Posts
If you go BB, I would go with the precision marine bullet 3, driven by an iwakia 70 with a couple mods. This is the setup Spanky uses, and it keeps his 350G nitrate free.

I think for flow he uses a iwakia 100 return no educator, and an iwakia 55 closed loop with an educator. He has outputs on the left and right, and switches ball valves every couple of weeks to give alternating flow but only uses one output at a time.

I am sure you could also go Tunze, but I can just quote what other people do because I have never even seen a tank this size.

HTH,
Whiskey

·
Premium Member
10,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok... I just saw the cost of the PM bullet 3 alone and i almost choked. It costs over half of what the tank does to get the skimmer and pump... what is the gen-x equal pump for that skimmer?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Have fun with the 30" depth of your tank. My current tank is 31" deep. It's a chore to mess with anything on the bottom.
You need to buy a scraper with long handle, and don't forget the magfloat.
I know that tank. Nice setup, the stand and canopy are really nice. Have fun, that puppy is heavy:)

·
Registered
15 Posts
I don't know if you're renting a truck to move it with but we did, went thru budget and got a lift gate trunk. I can't tell you how much pain it saved us. It was well worth the cost.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Two of us carried it out of his house. It's not that heavy. I hope it's not going up any stairs.

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
Twitterbait said:
which one? I have been looking at the PM bullet 3 so far.
I went with the PM XL 2. I found a killer deal on a hardly used one. This is the same skimmer that Travis uses on the cube tank at Upscales. I believe that Randy has one also. It is rated up to 750 gallons. I can't complain.

Jay

·
Premium Member
10,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
yup, as i said in my GRD thread... I have to do all the plumbing on the beast. the tank was actually not bad at all but in the end i would highly recommend furniture dollies when moving anything like this. it was so nice to pull the tank out of the truck and just set it down and roll it in. the stand was the heavy part so that was the really good part to have dollies on.

1 - 20 of 119 Posts