The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after much of my own research online:read: but not much personal experience, I decided to come to you guys for the answers.

Which do you use?
A Hydrometer or Refractometer

I know refractometers are generally viewed as more accurate. I would like to hear from people using both who are running successful systems and are able to maintain stabile SG.

I for one am using the cheapest Instant Ocean hydrometer that money can buy
:D

·
Toyotaholic
6,700 Posts
I use a refractometer.

If you do not take meticulous care of your hydrometer, you are bound to have a fouled reading that could cost you alot more in livestock than a refractometer would have.

I use this one and it has worked great for years. As a side note, if you purchase a refractometer (highly recommended), calibrate it with refractometer calibration solution, not RO water.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Refractometer...and keep int accurate with 35 ppm pinpoint solution...there is no other way to be that accurate consistently.

·
A Little Fishy
360 Posts
+1 to hotdogg and OFFROAD. A refractometer is not expensive especially when comparing it to the cost of the critters we keep and all the support equipment.

·
I've got the REEF rash!
61,660 Posts
To many things can go wrong with a Hydrometer.Bubbles ,getting stuck can't be recalibrated(and if it's right in the 1st place).

·
Registered
330 Posts
I used to have a hydrometer but I got a refractometer because my hydrometer was reading 1.025 but my corals weren't opening up so I took some water to the LFS and they did a whole bunch of tests and my salinity was actually 1.032.. so as you can imagine I bought a refractometer. Everything has been happy since then. But if you can figure out if your hydrometer is consistent then you can take some water to the LFS and they will test it with a refractometer and then test the same water with your hydrometer and figure out the difference. So if the water is 1.025 and your hydrometer reads 1.028, just remember that your hydrometer reads .003 too high or whatever. But that will only work if your hydrometer is consistent.

·
Chasing Stability
9,244 Posts
Refractometer. Make sure you get the pinpoint calibration fluid. I recalibrate mine every couple of weeks. I check it once a week.

·
Registered
300 Posts
refractometer, to be honest its probably easier to use than a hydrometer because you only need a drop of water and you get an accurate result

·
little fishy girl
4,061 Posts
gonna get one too thanks been using hydrometer since i started but think its time to upgrade lol

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Well after much of my own research online:read: but not much personal experience, I decided to come to you guys for the answers.

Which do you use?
A Hydrometer or Refractometer

I know refractometers are generally viewed as more accurate. I would like to hear from people using both who are running successful systems and are able to maintain stabile SG.

I for one am using the cheapest Instant Ocean hydrometer that money can buy
:D

I've been using one of those $7.99 floating glass hydrometers for about 16 years now without any problems. My parents used to use the same thing on their tank back in the late 70's early 80's. Here it is 2015 and the design is pretty much the same. It just goes to show that they do in fact work, quite well actually.

I aim for 1.026, but as long as I can line the meniscus up somewhere in the green area everything seems to work out ok.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts