The Reef Tank banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw tiny creatures on my glass today which i thought were the copepods I have been cultivating and adding, but after looking up info they did not look like copepods at all and I believe them to be hydroids. My main concern is: Are these pests that will cause harm? My tank is still under a year old and i hear it can be normal to undergo a hydroid cycle. Will these disappear in time or should i do something about them? All water parameters are in check and the DT is 40 gallons with a 10 gallon sump. Tank inhabitants include: 2 green chromis, scooter blenny, yellow watchman goby, pistol shrimp, feather duster, emerald crab, hermit crabs, narsarius snails, astrea snails, purple and green zoas, kenya tree, pulsing xenia, green star polyps, and mushroom coral. Should I be concerned? Does anything eat these or are they ok to be in the tank? I hear they are pests so im not sure what to do!

Attachments

·
r e e f e r 4 l i f e
2,210 Posts
Yes, hydroids. I went through a cycle of them when my last tank was about a month old. They lasted for about a month and then went away on their own. I would consider it a normal stage as I have heard that is common in newer tanks. They can definitely sting sensitive fish and corals though. Thankfully I didn't have anything in the tank at the time but a few snails. I would keep an eye on them and make sure they aren't stressing your fish out. I unfortunately don't know of any good ways to eradicate them. For me they were just fun to watch while they lasted and went through their medusa stage. They become tiny pulsing jellyfish all over the tank in the evening when the lights go out as they swim around. They settle down during the day on the glass and rocks when the lights are on. At least that was my experience with them.

Do you have Florida aqua-cultured rock? That's what I had in that tank and what those guys came in on. Also had several large isopods I found at night that I removed from the tank.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's good to know. It could be why my Green Chromis have been constantly hiding. Hopefully they will go away soon but I know not to rush anything in this hobby. I do not have Florida aqua-cultured live rock. I actually started with around 60lbs of base rock and about 2lbs of fiji cured live rock. I have been culturing phytoplankton from Florida Aqua farms and also tigger pods, but i'm not exactly sure how these got in the tank. The latest thing i've added was a feather duster or maybe it could have hitch hiked in with some coral or live rock that i have purchased. Who knows, It is good to know that this is a normal thing

1 - 3 of 3 Posts