The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· uber-stupid
5,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a couple of K4s when I got my LR yesterday. I got to tell you all I'm a little disapointed in their flow. I was expecting to get more than what I'm seeing. I was concidering getting 4 K4s and a controller for flow in my 225... Boy that would have been a waste of 800 bucks. I guess for 30 a piece they will do what I need them too but I will need at least 2 more of them. BTW, I'm not going to use them for flow in my tank.

· Registered
74 Posts
I picked up a couple of K4s when I got my LR yesterday. I got to tell you all I'm a little disapointed in their flow. I was expecting to get more than what I'm seeing. I was concidering getting 4 K4s and a controller for flow in my 225... Boy that would have been a waste of 800 bucks. I guess for 30 a piece they will do what I need them too but I will need at least 2 more of them. BTW, I'm not going to use them for flow in my tank.
Great, I just bought two K3's for my 85 gallon with 150 lbs of rock. Looks like I will need two more K4's to get the flow I am looking for.

· Premium Member
9,460 Posts
Sometimes it is hard to say before you get a pump in if it is going to be enough depending on where you place it and how your rock is situated. I am thinking about a K3 for my 30 long as the K2 is nice but I could use a bit more

· Registered
717 Posts
They might be fine in a 85 gallon. Just not nearly enough push for a 6 foot tank. But yeah your prolly gonna want more flow.
What kind of push you looking for?....all 6 foot of your tank?.....Circulation does not need to be wall to wall....just JMO....The ocean I do not think circulates from coast to coast....I have read....that you want circulation to be all over the tank...at intermitant times....

· uber-stupid
5,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What kind of push you looking for?
Enough.

One thing I'm looking for is wave action. Another thing I'm looking for is a lot of very soft turbulance. One thing I want to stay away from is any point source flow. While I like the soft broad pattern of the K4... Its just not enough push, not enough force behind the flow to have a wave action.

· Registered
827 Posts
You didn't read between the lines on that one:bigeek:

For controllable powerheads and your size tank, I'd go Tunze or Vortech. (No actual experience with either brand powerhead, just hours of researching/studying online) Doesn't mean you can't utilize your your current Koralias. =]

· Registered
8,356 Posts
I went with Vortechs after trying six K4's in my 150g. I couldn't take all the cords and mounts. For me, Vortechs are the best, cleanest looking option.

Here is a pic taken during the initial Koralia test period. Too many wires and nowhere near enough flow.

Here are the Vortechs after install. The wires weren't tied up yet so I had them looped over the front of the tank. The flow from the two Vortechs beat the Koralias hand down. Once the tank grows in more, I will probably add a second pair of MP40's. You can see by the sandbed how much flow just two Vortechs create when you run them full blast.

· Registered
2,518 Posts
Definitely would have done the Vortech's in a tank your size. I don't think the Koralias are really effective in anything bigger than a 75-100 gallon. I've got 2 4's and 2 2's in my 75 and I will definately be upgrading to Vortech's later.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.