The Reef Tank banner

Hydnophora Tips please!

5K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  CaliO 
#1 ·
Hey guys I got a green encrusting Hydnophora about 2 weeks ago:p. It is doing very well, I put it in the top right side of my tank away from other corals giving it room to encrust without conflict ( for a while anyway). I was just wondering if I can get as many tips about this coral as I can from people who have had them and what they think of it? What do you target feed it? how fast does this coral grow ( inches in approx. 6 months) with good parameters and regular feedings?

Thanks, Dmac3474

#4 ·
On this thread anyway... im guessing not too many people here have had them or not interested in it. there is plenty of info when you google it just wondering about someone elses info on this coral that has had it before or has it now

#5 ·
I have had a hydnophora exesa for about a year now. I keep mine in medium to high flow. 150> par. Mine expands it's polyps a lot. Mine has grown from about the size of a quarter to larger than a half dollar in that time period.

Water Azure Natural environment Plant Underwater

This pic is a few months and within the first hour of lights on. But I will take a pic later today with lights on.

And I don't feed mine.

#6 ·
I have had a hydnophora exesa for about a year now. I keep mine in medium to high flow. 150> par. Mine expands it's polyps a lot. Mine has grown from about the size of a quarter to larger than a half dollar in that time period.

View attachment 105510
This pic is a few months and within the first hour of lights on. But I will take a pic later today with lights on.

And I don't feed mine.
Thanks for the information on the Hydnophora! I don't think I will target feed mine either but I do phyto and zooplankton foods in the tank though. that hydnophora looks pretty awesome!

#8 ·
Just a pic like promised. This is around 6pm, the sun sets and shines through a picture window lighting up the entire tank for about 2hours from start to finish. Which my corals love, the whole tank experiences 400+par for that short period.. didn't have any bleaching issues. As this tank is somewhat new. Multiple smaller tanks went into this 90g. July 4th corals were added and most corals never seen more than 250par in my possion before this.

Plant Vertebrate Marine invertebrates Natural environment Organism

Attachments

#13 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.