The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm doing an experiment and thought I would see what y'all thought.
We know that clown fish cross breed in the wild. It is a rare event, so we have no way of knowing the extent to which this occurs. We don't know what species combinations are capable of producing offspring. There are a few hybrids that are known, but there are probably many more that are unknown. Some hybrids are said to be mules, or sterile. I want to find out what will happen when two clowns of different species are raised together. Will they begin to fight as they age, or will they fall in love and live happily ever after? I have my first experimental couple. A Clarkii and a Tomato. They have been together in a 10gl tank for about 15 days. So far, so good. No real fighting. Sometimes they sleep in the same piece of PVC pipe together. The Clarkii is a little bigger, so it chases the Tomato a little. This is no more aggressive than you would see between individuals in a mated pair. There has not been any physical contact that I have seen, and there are no torn fins. They are both eating well, their color has improved, and they seem to be growing.
Here's the Tomato on 5-03-08

Here's the Clarkii being checked out by the Tomato on 5-05-08

Here's the lovely couple swimming around their new home.

·
Premium Member
7,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have a 40 long that I plan on dividing into 4 sections so I can have 4 pairs going at the same time. If they seem to be getting along as they get larger, I will move them into their own 20gl tank. If they don't get along, I will just be giving them to someone local.

Any suggestions on what species I should use for the other three pairs?

·
Premium Member
11,736 Posts
I think this will be a very cool experiment and will be tagging along to see how it turns out.

I was wanting to try the same thing, but I was going to use True Percula and Ocellaris clowns and see what happens. Of course I should have planned this before actually setting up the tank as I now have 3 Ocellaris in my 40 and adding the Percs might not be wise decision at this time.

Best of luck with the experiment.

·
Premium Member
11,736 Posts
I have a 40 long that I plan on dividing into 4 sections so I can have 4 pairs going at the same time. If they seem to be getting along as they get larger, I will move them into their own 20gl tank. If they don't get along, I will just be giving them to someone local.

Any suggestions on what species I should use for the other three pairs?

We were posting at the same time. That seems like a good plan. I wonder if a saddleback would mate with a percula. I would really like to see a cross breeding with a gold stripe maroon, but fear they are too mean to even think about it.

·
Just send me a PM ;)
16,796 Posts
Awesome experiment! i'm interested in seeing how this turns out as well

·
Premium Member
7,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Fat Tony. This experiment will take a long time. I'm starting with the youngest fish I can find, so it will be quite a few months before I know if they'll pair up, and a year or more before I know if they will actually spawn. I think it will be cool if they do though.

We were posting at the same time. That seems like a good plan. I wonder if a saddleback would mate with a percula. I would really like to see a cross breeding with a gold stripe maroon, but fear they are too mean to even think about it.
I like the saddle back/percula idea. I'm not apposed to trying a maroon hybrid either. The fish will be raised together from a very young age. If they start getting aggressive, I will separate them.

·
Premium Member
7,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I still need to buy 6 more clown fish to pair up. Any more suggestions?

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
I know it wouldn't be exactly cross breeding, but I wonder if a black and an orange ocellaris would pair up. Never really thought about it.

·
Premium Member
7,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have an Ocellaris that's not really orange or black. It's somewhere in between. It is the male of my mated pair. His girlfriend is solid orange.

·
Premium Member
7,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Premium Member
7,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Any updates on this EC?
I've been trying to get updated pics of the pair that I have started with, but they won't sit still. They just look like a blur in the pics. They are growing and getting along fine. The Clarkii has become the more dominant one, so if this works, it will probably be the female.

I have 7 adult clown fish. 3 Saddle Backs that get along fine, a mated pair of Ocellaris, and 2 melanistic Clarkii's. The Clarkii's have been together for a month or more, but show no signs of pairing up. If something doesn't change soon, I will probably split them up and get two young clowns to pair them with. My problem, is that I'm not sure how well this will work with more mature clowns. I'm not sure what to do with the Clarkii's. I don't really want to break up the trio of Saddle Backs, but I may attempt to pair one with one of the Clarkii's. Not sure about that.

I still want 3 more pairs, but I'm not sure what species to try pairing up.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
if your still takeing suggestions a picasso clown and a naked clown would be cool but best of luck to you and the exsperiment

·
Premium Member
7,375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the suggestion. I am definitely still taking them. I don't want to spend the money for designer clowns, that I may end up giving away. I'm not even sure that a regular Ocellaris and Percula would be worth the effort to cross breed. Most people can't tell them apart as it is. Maybe an Ocellaris or Perc with a Skunk?

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
o ya good point arent those clowns i mentioned like 70 bucks each? but i think a regular ocellaris with a black and white ocellaris would be really cool i defanitly try and buy some babies from you if it worked

1 - 20 of 88 Posts