The Reef Tank banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i got my light posts today. they looked like ****, but after quick rub down with a sander on one of them, it looks a bit better and more to what i imagined. i am not going to chrome them (cuz bondo don't stick to chrome to well), but powercoating them with a gloss black might do the job. so, the new plan is to take them to work, and beadblast them later this week, and get them painted next week.
here's a pic of one partially down before my sander broke:D

Attachments

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
a pic of it sitting on the stand add-on. i will paint the add-on this week too. the light fixture will hang center over the tank, 8~10" off the water. i plan on suspending the light from cables.

Attachments

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
this pic shows the light posts as they will be positioned, with the refugium placed in the middle. so far i like it, and once finished, should look trick!
:cool:

Attachments

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
casey, i plan on ordering a dual 250w mh/pc combo fixture from psl. and ordered a giesemann height adjustment hardware from roger v. today to hang the fixture from. the tank is placed in a room with 14'+ ceilings. i would like the room lit up by the tank, with the waves reflecting the light backup on the walls and ceiling. ;)
this pic shows one of the latches i'll be using to keep the side panels in place. they are flush mounted, i found them in a boat/ski shop.

Attachments

·
Registered
537 Posts
DUDE! Those are AWESOME!
Better bolt them down to somthing, I have a giesemann style aqua space light and that thing is HEAVY!

I would use a buffer wheel to put the spirals in then do a clear coat. They look way to cool for black powder coat!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Powder Coat? I did powder coating for 2 years and was not aware that it would stick to bondo.... because bondo is not metal so there for it would not be electricifed for the static electricty for the powder to stick to it.... Home I am wrong because those sure do look good... if not u can always get them sprayed by a body shop

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks all! i appreciate the positive feedback!
the welds really need some work, very rough welding and grinding marks all over. sandblasting would help me save time. i got to get a new sander tonight. the pics are a wee bit deciving i think. each light post has a 6 hole pattern in the bottom plate, and will be attached with 1¾" x ¼" woodscrews into the top board.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
bamann345, thanks, its a 75gl. rr aquarium! i had central machine works make them, one of the local business here that fabricate metal for just about anything you can think of.
rwd, yes they are his davits, but don't tell him i have them. hopefully he won't notice them missing.... :funny: these are heavy duty for sure! my friend has a tank stand made from 2"sq. steel tubing for 150gl. it took 4 ppl to move that stand!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.