The Reef Tank banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok ive been putting this off for a while since i cant figure anything out, but i cant put it off anymore.
i cant get my temp stable. i recently switched to t5's from PC's. during the day my temp will be pretty good, around 75-76 degrees; but at night my temp will drop as low as 71-72 degrees. i know this stresses fish and corals very easily.

how do i get it stable and consistent?

the only thing i could think to do is add a heater and set it to heat the tank to a tempreture a little higher than my tank will get when its at its hottest.
for instance, if my tank gets up to 76 degrees during the day, would it work to set a heater to keep the tank at 78 degrees and see if it holds round the clock?

lil help please:thumbup:

·
Kid Reefer
4,174 Posts
deffinetely a heater, i even lost some clowns because they couldnt take the temperature swings at night but i put in a heater and keep my water temp at 78 all the time and everythings alot healthier

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
i had a stealth heater blow up in my tank ..well actually it shot out of the tank and made a mess on the ceiling ...never again for me ...i use jaeger heaters now ...cant say they are nessicarly better but haven't had one explode yet ....i would get the best heater you can afford

·
Premium Member
11,736 Posts
You may be very interested in the new thread I just posted. It is titled to heat or not to heat. It may convince you to either leave the temp as is, or to spend the money on a temperature controller that will kill power to the heater. ;)

Experience is a good teacher, and no matter how long you have been in the hobby there are still things that will bite you from time to time.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You may be very interested in the new thread I just posted. It is titled to heat or not to heat. It may convince you to either leave the temp as is, or to spend the money on a temperature controller that will kill power to the heater. ;)

Experience is a good teacher, and no matter how long you have been in the hobby there are still things that will bite you from time to time.
sounds interesting ill check it out before i make any descisions. very true on expierience also. it is the only way to really learn a lesson sometimes.:rolleyes:

thanks for all the suggestions guys, keep em comin im all ears

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well after seeing what happened to aquawolf's tank, i wont be putting a heater in without a controller.

unfortunately i wouldnt know where to start with controllers either, any suggestions??????:nuts:

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
1 - 12 of 12 Posts