The Reef Tank banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just setting up a 90 gallon and bought Live Rock. The LR is covered with huge bivalves. There must be at least 10 of these in my tank from 2 to 5 inches - see pic. Are these hard to keep and/or will they just die and contaminate my tank?

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Nick! We have several of those on our rock as well and have kept them alive for 1 1/2 years now. We do feed phyto twice daily to support not only our bi-valves but our many different squirts and sponges. Nice rock!!

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
Welcome to TRT!!

:wavey:

i can not remember what those are officially called. they tend to not last that long in our systems. if they are present it tends to mean that the LR came from nutrient rich waters. it is hard for us to keep the nutrients high enough to keep them alive yet low enough to keep the tank from becoming algae covered.

G~

·
Premium Member
12,214 Posts
Neat pics of 'life' in your tanks...and +1 welcome to The Reef Tank.

I don't understand why you are usuing the word bivalve. I don't see shells on these mullusks.if that's what they are.

I used to feed phto, but don't anymore for reasons like Geoff mentioned. But if you're having success with your program....that's hreat.
Would like to see a full tank shot.

..and again, welcome aboard.

·
Premium Member
12,214 Posts
OK.....not really clear to these old eyes....though I did see a nice bristle worm.

If there are a lot of these, it must put a drain on available calcium to grow the shell. Do you dose....have a calcium reactor?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nick's big bilvalves

Thanks all for the feedback. Note that I am just in the process of cycling my tank, about 2.5 weeks in. Started with 60 lbs live sand, 30lb dry, 50 lb fiji LR (shipped in overnight) and about 15 lb of Live rock from LFS. The LR from the LFS is covered with the Bivalves. There are also several sponges and a small patch of coral on the LFS Live rock. See pics. I think I will try to return one of the rocks with 6 large Bivalves on it. For the other LR with sponges and other bivalves I will get some phyto. I want to try and keep them alive.

Current stats - PH 8.1, 25ppm, 50ppm, 80ppm.

Will do a 20%water change tonight.

Attachments

·
Quo vadis, Domini.
469 Posts
My first piece of liverock ( bought from the Flintstones) consisted mainly of 7large bivalves . I didn't even realize they were there until I saw the rock move. :eek: The tank was definately "nutrient-rich" and they existed quite happily until I added a chocolate-chip star. :bawling:

Nice find and good luck with them .

1 - 12 of 12 Posts