The Reef Tank banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never used this type of lighting. But when I look at a 250watt single ended bulb over a tank that is of the same wattage, there seems to be more shimmer.

I like the fact that they are compace and small, less to burn my hands on. If I purchased 150watt systems for the 125 gallon I have with a 2" sandbed. Will there be enough light to keep clams on the bottom of the tank?

Does anyone use hamilton hqi 14ks over their tanks?
Thanks lighting experts

·
Registered
874 Posts
woot woot! I love my HQI, granted its 150 over a 10g soon to be 18g but they are amazing lights. A lot more shimmer, really make beautiful caustics in the water, which some marine people believe to be beneficial to coral growth, wether thats been proven or not, not too sure, but it look s cool. I'm using 10K Ushio with antitic supp. The coral growth is amazing! and my two clams love it. I know our tanks dont compare.....so....good luck!

·
Registered
573 Posts
How would an HQI 250 give out more par than a SE 250?

I love my 250 DE. Honestly so far its the best investment I have made! I would deff. do 250s over a larger tank like that. The cost isnt very much more either.

·
Registered
264 Posts
It does depend on what kind of clams. If you went with Derasa and Squamosa clams, you could do 150's, but you will definitely want to go with 250's over a 125 if you want to keep the brighter clams like crocea and maxima. Clams (especially maximas and croceas) like intense light so it's more about where is the clam relative to the light. I have a maxima about 12" from a 250w HQI 14K in a 25 gallon tank.

150 might do it if you keep the clams up high in the tank, but down on the sand bed, you'll probably be relegated to derasas.

·
Founder-Canton Reef Club
1,839 Posts
I use (2) 400watt HQI's on my 90. They are 14K as well. Great color to use in my opinion.

However, I doubt the 150's on a 125 will do the job. I had them and was not happy. Once I went to 400's there is no comparision.

Par 290 on the bottom of the 90 and 600+ at top.

Do yourself a favor now, use 400's. You will never be fully happy with 150's or 250's for that matter. Bulbs cost the same.

Todd

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Pillz said:
How would an HQI 250 give out more par than a SE 250?
Engineering.

washowi said:
I use (2) 400watt HQI's on my 90. They are 14K as well. Great color to use in my opinion.

However, I doubt the 150's on a 125 will do the job. I had them and was not happy. Once I went to 400's there is no comparision.

Par 290 on the bottom of the 90 and 600+ at top.

Do yourself a favor now, use 400's. You will never be fully happy with 150's or 250's for that matter. Bulbs cost the same.

Todd
I'll agree with Todd on 150s being low on a 90. Get either 250's or 400's (depending on how high you want your monthly electric bill to be) The cost of the ballasts and bulbs are practically the same. If you want clams on the sand in a 90, Id say go with 400s. Ultimately it depends on how much money you want to spend monthly. (1000w ballasts are only $30 more than 400s :rotflmao: )

·
Registered
461 Posts
1000w MH bulbs? For what? Lighting a hockey rink?!?

As for par levels from HQI bulbs and SE bulbs, it all depends on what brand of bulb, bulb temp., ballast type and the UV shield... :)

Here's an example...

XM 250w 10k DE bulb fired by an IceCap ballast - 95 PPFD
XM 250w 10k SE bulb fired by an IceCap ballast - 115 PPFD

so if you want to use an electronic ballast and an XM bulb, you'll get better performance out an SE bulb... but other combos may yield different results.

As for your 125 and 150w lights, what are you planning on keeping in this tank? Do you want a garden reef, or just a derasa clam? IMO, a few of the less light demanding clams will do fine in that light, but if you intended to keep some of the light loving SPS with those clams, you want more light than that.

·
Registered
351 Posts
use 3 250w DE setups, the best bulb will depend on what balast you want to go with(electric, magnetic or HQI)

150 not enough light for clams at the bottom, 400's would be nice but if you arnt hard core on SPS dont bother.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am leaning towards 250watt hqi setups.

ARO ballast, power cord, and hqi reflector with glas shield is only $125.00 at hellolights right now.

Great deal

Thanks yall

·
Founder-Canton Reef Club
1,839 Posts
Buy it locally!! Call Doug at Reef Tank Lighting~~~

He will give you a better deal and if you need him or problems arise, he is here!

You will wish you went to 400's. I was in the same boat and could not decide. Doug and Simon talked me into 400's. So glad cause then you can add anything!! and it cost like 100 bucks more. Big deal when you are talking about the grand scheme of things.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts