The Reef Tank banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I'm getting a custom rimless/topless tank, approx 45 gallons. 48L x 12W x 16H. This tank is going to sit on a low stand with a 20G long sump, standard setup - skimmer > bubble trap > pump < fuge. I need to pick up a few new toys with a $800 budget (ish.)

My goal is to house softies, maybe some simple corals.

Lighting - the lighting must be slim, I prefer LED since the lights will be fairly close to the water. I looked into the Reefbrite LEDs. 1x 48" white, 1x 48" blue for some early/late viewing. Does anyone think these two will support softies? If not, maybe the XHO series? The lighting must be low-profile since it's going to fit inside a custom floating shelf just above the tank. I have a few extra par38 bulbs but they are too big for my project.

Skimmer - with the budget in mind, I've had happy success with Reef Octopus products, so I'm considering the RO 4. The RO 6 is too high for my custom stand. Any other recommendations of short, effective, in-sump skimmers?

Pumps - circulation pumps, I've got a couple of koralias sitting around, but I've heard that Tunze work great for longer, narrow tanks. Anyone recommend this also? I'd pick up some ecotechs but I can't have any equipment on the outside of the tank itself.

Thanks!

·
Registered
267 Posts
lots of q's there. Looks like a decent set up. I'd take one quesiton at a time if you are still looking for feedback, but generally this setup looks good.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts