The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so my 29 gallon mixed reef (SPS dominatn) is losing the battle with cyano. I have done everything (Syphoned like crazy, manually removed all that I can find multiple times, WC's twice a week, etc.) I am losing the fight, so i am going to use chemiclean. How is the best way to do it? will it stress any of my corals out?

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Follow the directions on the box, DON'T overdose!! I have used it several times. It may piss off some corals but won't kill any IME. If I recall the is a warning about starfish on it but I never lost one when I used it.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well, I have quite a few SPS that I don't really want to stress out, plus I just added a nice dendrophylia frag that my LFS finally got in. I really don't want to stress it out any more than necessary. So I have about 40 gallons or water volume. Should I just dump 4 scoop straight in? or do I do it over time?

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I don't know how many scoops, That depends on your total water volume but mix it in in your sump if possible. If not, Mix it in some tank water then pour it in in front of your return(s) or Powerhead.

·
Retired Wanderer
17,271 Posts
I used that once on my 55 and it was a band aid. Limit feeding and do a lot of water changes and attack the root phosphate cause and that seemed to work for me as a real long term solution.

·
I've got the REEF rash!
61,659 Posts
I agree with Perry.It's better to find the problem and fix it.Then to stress them and all your doing is masking the problem.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the problem is that it is a new tank. I have no phosphates in the water column. I have little phosphates in the sand. I only feed twice a week. I have done tons of water changes, and syphoning. I appreciate the thoughts, but I just need to know the best way to use this stuff

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
I had a small patch show up due to my aging metal halide bulbs. I went with half the recomended dosage for my 75 mixed reef, mostly SPS. I did the initial dose and another one 48 hours later of the Ultralife Red Slime Remover, I'm pretty sure it's the same stuff though. I lost zero corals and didn't really noticed any negative reaction in my tank other than having to turn off my skimmer due to excessive foaming. It took about a week to wipe it all out, that is a little slower than most people experience but I think that is due to my smaller dose. It has been at least 3 weeks and I have not seen any return. Hope this answers your question.

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
Just follow the directions on the box and when done do a water change like the box says you should be fine.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
would it hurt anything to dose the tank tonight and then do the water change Wednesday? Or should i wait till tomorrow to treat it?

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Wait till tomorrow. Stick as closely to the instructions as possible to ensure nothing gets harmed in any way.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ok, so I am going to treat tonight. Here is my last question (i think). How do i know how much to treat? do I just guess? I mean, I have a 29 tank plus 20 gallon sump (probably half full). Do I try to treat for actual water volume (accounting for water displacement from rock and sand, etc.), or just assume 29 gallons plus the water in the sump?

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Go for the estimated total volume. My guess would be 32-35G.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I was figuring about 35, so i will just do a tad bit over 3 scoops

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
so I dosed it last night, and all my corals look good. should 48 hours wipe this stuff out? I noticed a drastic improvement in one small area of my tank this morning, but other areas seem completely unaffected. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
You MAY need a second dose. Depends on how bad it was.

As others said, You want to find what caused it to begin with and fix it because if you don't it will just come right back.

Feed only every other day, Replace any old bulbs in your lighting. Skim wet. :)

Good luck, I have battled it myself a few times before beating it in several tanks.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
well, I skim wet (not right now during the treatment). I have cut feeding to twice a week. I have manually removed a ton of the stuff, and I have done WC twice a week, and have never made any head room. I have to believe it is just because my tank is young. Oh, and my bulbs are only about 2-3 months old.

If I need a second dose, do I need to do a WC before that dose? Or just add another 3 scoops tomorrow?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts