The Reef Tank banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've tried some internet research and found a lot of information on corals stinging/spreading toxins into the water/competing for space etc.
But I haven't really been able to find much information on being able to tell that this is happening?

I'm a first time reefer, so I'm just trying to get it all right.

Basically I have corals I suspect may be fighting for space but they're both doing fairly well so I don't want to move them unless it is necessary.

What are some WARNING SIGNS that the corals are fighting?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Couple of things ,what type of corals are you talking about , are the touching each other, do they have tentacles? few corals tend to sting, some of this are in the LPS family corals, frogspawn, hammer , torch there is more those will sting other non aggressive corals , and you will notice that the coral been affected will be retracted or not happy looking. Hope this helps

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Couple of things ,what type of corals are you talking about , are the touching each other, do they have tentacles? few corals tend to sting, some of this are in the LPS family corals, frogspawn, hammer , torch there is more those will sting other non aggressive corals , and you will notice that the coral been affected will be retracted or not happy looking. Hope this helps
Cool. I actually did have a specific thread about it before but go no love haha so I thought I'd make it more general for everyone to relate to!

My specifics are as follows:
Nano Reef Tank
Torch Coral established for 1.5/2 months.
Toadstool coral recently purchased.

Placed toadstool near the torch.
Next morning the toadstool had slightly bent to face the torch.
Still both looked very healthy - but raised concern hence asking the question.

This morning (2 days with toadstool) the toadstool has bent over quite a lot more and retracted it's polyps. I've learnt to relax more about corals retracting from time to time, especially first thing in the morning, but again it's made me think that there may be a problem.

I'm most likely going to move it - even just a tiny bit away for now to see how it goes - but as always more knowledge is better.

Day 1:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/41dwy1g7tn2zs0n/IMG_20160127_184053.jpg?dl=0

Day 2:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/fp4grqzu2qk1rp5/20160129_081116 (1).jpg?dl=0

Day 3:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/vkn2hrjcq5dsnow/20160130_114248.jpg?dl=0

·
Premium Member
11,065 Posts
One not opening is the biggest giveaway. The torch has a powerful sting, but leather corals like the toadstool can give off chemicals to kill off neighbors. Euphyllia (like your torch) and leathers (like your toadstool) tend to dislike each other quite a bit. If you're not running carbon I would suggest it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
One not opening is the biggest giveaway. The torch has a powerful sting, but leather corals like the toadstool can give off chemicals to kill off neighbors. Euphyllia (like your torch) and leathers (like your toadstool) tend to dislike each other quite a bit. If you're not running carbon I would suggest it.
Do you mean carbon in the filter media?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep :) It'll help with any chemical warfare. Just make sure the torch isn't touching any other coral.
Cool definitely had carbon since day dot.
Perhaps I'll move it a little further and see how it goes - if it doesn't seem to perk up I'll move to the other side.

Sidenote - do those toadstool corals tend to lean over in normal behavior?

·
Premium Member
11,065 Posts
Toadstools can be "drama queens". If you just moved it or changed anything in the tank it may pout for a couple days before perking back up. If the torch is close enough to touch it though, it may have been stung.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Toadstools can be "drama queens". If you just moved it or changed anything in the tank it may pout for a couple days before perking back up. If the torch is close enough to touch it though, it may have been stung.
Perfect advise thanks for letting me rent your brain this morning.

Have a good one!

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Oh, Never mind. I thought you asked if the corals were "Singing" :doh:

My torch coral on the left is stinging, and killing the montipora on the right.
I didn't hear any one of them sing, it was more like an "Ouch" :eek:

·
Registered
687 Posts
Nice shot Paul

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh, Never mind. I thought you asked if the corals were "Singing" :doh:

My torch coral on the left is stinging, and killing the montipora on the right.
I didn't hear any one of them sing, it was more like an "Ouch" :eek:

Haha well Paul you have to submerge your ear into the water if you want to hear them sing :jester:

+1 to Oxylebius, that is a solid snap!

I've moved the toadstool a little and they seem to be getting along a little better now :)

And the overall tank currently:

Thanks for all your input guys!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts