The Reef Tank banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Tune In Tokyo!
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im getting ready to grow in tank size. The 29 gallon is just getting to cramped.
What I plan on doing is purchasing a 120 rr and lay down a new sand bed and all the old liverock from the 29 without coral attached to it. I will also purchase more liverock to fill the 120 and let it do its curing thing for a few months.
During this time the 29 will have alot less liverock (due to most of it being in the 120) and will still house all my creatures/coral. Once the curing has completed its transfer time for the rest of the 29.
Ive never done this before. Does it sound like a good plan of action? Suggestions? comments?

·
Registered
616 Posts
I would be wary about how much and how fast I take the LR out of the 29. It is your primary natural filtration after all.

·
11,345 Posts
Since we are talking about a fairly small tank, i wouldnt even mess with it until you hae the larger tank ready to go. Buy enough live rock to just get the 120 going on its own that way you will stress out all of your existing corals a lot less in the long run.
FWIW as well, if you are really enjoying this hobby you should keep the smaller tank running, even if its out of sight somewhere. You can then use it as a quarantine tank or even just as a place to put stuff whenever the need should arise. This hobby can blindside you sometimes and having another helthy back up system can be the difference between a huge loss and a very minimal one or none at all...........as well as makes reaquascaping to any degree much easier on you and your corals.

The deal with a used small system like that anyway is that you wont get more than 1/3rd what you paid for it and i promise you wont regret keeping it.

My first tank was a 46 and i tried to sell it whn i initially upgraded....im glad it didnt sell becasue i would have benn giving it away and it has saved my butt more than a few times. I STILL have it running as my 4th tank..soon to be 3rd.

·
Tune In Tokyo!
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yea, Im not planning on selling the 29. Its going to be put to use somehow....maybe a quarantine or backup or sps grow tank.
Thanks for the info...i will definately not remove all the liverock as I had planned to do.

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
If you can I would add mostly new lr to the new tank. The less you mess with the 29 the better. How are things down in Atl? I was born and raised in N. Augusta S.C. Moved to ny 15 yrs ago but still go down to visit my mom. God I miss my sweet tea!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts