The Reef Tank banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
I wanted to get a small snowflake eel for my 55 gal FWLR tank, but I want to make sure it does try to Nemo its way into the drain first. Right now I have four glass window louvers acting as a cover, but there is still space behind the glass at the back of the tank (since the glass is too large for me to fill the spaces) and there is also my Reef Octopus pipes in the way. So what are some options to help close up the spaces to prevent any escaping animals? I've read that some people use saran wrap, any other ideas or suggestions?

Thanks

·
Registered
264 Posts
Maybe some sponge behind the returns or stainless steel wire meshing. I am not however sure if the wire meshing is safe for a tank so you would need to check on that

·
Premium Member
12,214 Posts
They can be quite clever.....
Kudos on the use of Nemo as a romote or away, or escape from an original place.

We use the word to describe a live remote when we take live radio on location.

:}

·
Registered
549 Posts
Egg crate AKA light diffusion panels. They are plastic, about $15 at HD or Lowe's. Easily shaped. Paintable. Just dump the glass and cut the panel to fit then install.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I used duct tape to cover small openings. My snowflake has grown and is much more reclusive than he used to be, so I stopped doing so a few months ago. He's escaped about 3-4 times, landing on the floor three of the times (about a four foot drop, I think). Managed to scoop him up and get him back in the tank each time, though it's incredibly difficult (read: impossible) to pick him up when he's wet due to the slime covering his body.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Egg crate AKA light diffusion panels. They are plastic, about $15 at HD or Lowe's. Easily shaped. Paintable. Just dump the glass and cut the panel to fit then install.
I saw someone else mention using window screen frames and mesh to create a barrier similar to what the egg crate would produce.

Wouldn't removing the glass just increase evaporation and create more salt build up around the area?

·
Registered
549 Posts
I saw someone else mention using window screen frames and mesh to create a barrier similar to what the egg crate would produce.

Wouldn't removing the glass just increase evaporation and create more salt build up around the area?
Yes but it would help gas exchange. It's a toss up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts