The Reef Tank banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Whuch' you need?
3,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a way to set up two sumps on one tank? I have a 29 gallon tank I am setting up and I already have it set up for one sump, but I was thinking it would be cool to connect another to it in order to increase the total volume and have more room for extra LR.
My tank only has 1 overflow. Could I brach the drain and add a return pump to the extra sump? Would that work or would I flood my room?
Thank for reading
D

·
TCMAS Member
5,667 Posts
I would daisy chain the sumps together using 1.5" bulkheads. Have the overflows go into one and the return pump in the other. This will make the flow even between the multiple sumps and does not add extra plumbing or pumps.

·
Whuch' you need?
3,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The problem with that is that the main sump is a rubbermaid. Is it possible to get a good seal around a bulkhead in a rubbermaid tub?

·
A goof
2,923 Posts
epidemic said:
My tank only has 1 overflow. Could I brach the drain and add a return pump to the extra sump? Would that work or would I flood my room?
Thank for reading
D
That would probably flood your room. Like Dave said the best is to have a bulkhead connecting the 2 sumps, you could try to have a syphon unpside down U to connect the 2 sumps but that is probably a little risky.

HTH

Jon

·
TCMAS Member
5,667 Posts
It depends on how rigid the rubbermaid is and if you can install the bulkhead in an area where the plactic is flat and not curved. If so, usually isn't a problem. I have done it without incident and tank was setup for about 2 years before I moved to MN. Now days though since I can work with acrylic I would never go that route again......

·
Whuch' you need?
3,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If I put the second sump on the ground (carpet) it would be slightly lower than the other sump. I was thinking I could put a bulkhead through the higher sump run it into the lower one and put the return pump in the lower one. Now I just need to decide if I need to put a bulkhead in both sumps or just run it into the lower sump with rigid PVC.

·
Whuch' you need?
3,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks David, Whenever I see that you replied to one of my posts, I am comforterd that it is usefull information and not a smart arse comment (like I leave all the time)

·
RIP Steve Irwin
5,500 Posts
I have two and one is lower than the other. I am ridding of that 40 breeder if you want to work out a trade. It is an oceanic sump 3 or something like that.

·
Whuch' you need?
3,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah! That would be "frikin sweet!" at Ppeter Griffin would say. Let me know what you are looking for.

·
Whuch' you need?
3,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's because you cant use a TF-1000 with the pump in the sump. An OR will not fit in the sump with the skimmer.

·
Registered
828 Posts
(saw this post even though im not in your area)

I run 2 x 45g sumps on my 300g. Here is how my system is setup:

Overflow from the 300g/46g into the first sump at full speed (into a filter sock). i have a bulkhead very low in that sump that feeds an external pump for my skimmer/return for small 46g display. Set very high in the sump i have a 3" bulkhead.....The water level is maxed in this sump because of it. The bulkhead connect to hard pvc into my 2nd 45g sump at a downward angle. The sumps sit at exactly the same height. Because the bulkhead is so low in the 2ns sump, i only need to have about 10g of water in there, which incase of a powerout gives me breathing room when it fills to about 4" from the top. The 2nd sump contains about 50lbs of live rock, which is mainly used as a baffle. The an external pump returns the water through the chiller then back to the 300g display

Hope that made sense!

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts