The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of purchasing a 150 gallon tank. The tank has 5 holes in the bottom of it. How could I run a sump off of these? Most things I see are overflows at the top of the tank... Any ideas? Also what size sump would I need? Thank you!

·
Registered
8,273 Posts
It may help if you read up on sumps first to see how they work and some of the design principles. The better you understand the easier things are.
Make sure to check out the three links everything you want to know about sumps.

http://www.melevsreef.com/articles/what-is-a-sump

As for the holes how you do it depends on where they are.
I imagine a couple are for return lines and 3 for drain lines.
It would be best to have some sort of overflow, to limit the amount the display will drain when the pump is shut down.

·
Registered
8,273 Posts
The odd are that some are for drain lines and some are for return lines.
How you set up the over flows, etc. will depend on where the holes are.

·
Administrator
46,893 Posts
I have seen some mick mouse drilled tanks that were drilled but didn't havent have overflow weir set up :(

·
Registered
8,273 Posts
I believe I'd pass on that one unless you want to run some closed loop circulation.
And where they are places would be a pain to work around.
You could close them off and drill it where it would be appropriate, if the price is dirt cheap.
That is just my opinion, others may disagree.

·
Registered
634 Posts
I believe I'd pass on that one unless you want to run some closed loop circulation.
You could close them off and drill it where it would be appropriate, if the price is dirt cheap.
I agree. Especially since you're new to this. If you can get this super cheap and drill it yourself then it may be worth the hassle. Otherwise I would recommend waiting. This isnt a traditional setup and people get rid of tanks all the time

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
$260 for the 150gallon and a pretty ugly stand that I plan on sanding down and painting if I buy it. What do you think?

·
Registered
8,273 Posts
The only thing I see that the holes would actually be useful and not to much of a pain is if you are going to use a Reverse Under Gravel Filter.
Other than that, they look like they will be rather inconvenient.

·
Registered
8,273 Posts
$260 for the 150gallon and a pretty ugly stand that I plan on sanding down and painting if I buy it. What do you think?
Depends on the brand, Do you know that it actually holds water?

Check prices on used tanks that size that brand.
If it was an old Oceanic I would say go for it. But it depends on a bunch of factors what it is worth.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I will ask about the brand. The only way i can think of using them is to either plug them all and do a normal overflow. Or, silicon a PVC pipe to it and run it up to the surface of the water and then use that as an overflow if that makes sense.

·
Registered
8,273 Posts
I will ask about the brand. The only way i can think of using them is to either plug them all and do a normal overflow. Or, silicon a PVC pipe to it and run it up to the surface of the water and then use that as an overflow if that makes sense.
Running PVC to the surface would not look good and you would set up your rock work around them.
you could put pvc, and a valve threaded on the output side incase you come up with some use for them. How you treat them would depend on whether they are threaded or slip fittings on the output.
I looked around a little the price does not look too bad. But I would wait till after noon to see what others think. Personally I don't think I would pay that the way the holes are unless I was going to do a RUGF. It would be a pain even using them for closed loops.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The other option would be to block them up and cover them up. Any thoughts on this? I think it’d be an uncessaty possible point of failure but not sure.

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
I’m with Jerry I would pass on it for $260. Maybe offer him $150 for it if he can’t sell it after awhile. Not sure if patching the bottom of a tank is possible. Guess if you pulled the bulkheads out and got a piece of glass cut the size of the bottom used a ton of silicone to bond the two pieces together then resealed around the new bottom to the sides it sounds like it would work but always run the risk of it leaking im sure. But think as long as both bottoms were bonded with a even thin layer of silicone where the weight of the water couldn’t crack the new piece of glass in theory it should work. But sounds like a lot of work and risk. I myself would keep looking
Matt

1 - 20 of 23 Posts