The Reef Tank banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been trying to remove my hippo tang from a full aquascaped tank to place him in a hospital tank. I've been trying to do this without moving the rocks. I've tried the turn the lights off and stun it by truning the lights back on quickly, and the feed and scoop method. No luck yet. I really want to get him in the hospital tank as he has marine ich and I don't want the other fish to be infected.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
44 Posts
The only suggestion that I can give you is go get a fish trap and try to put some food in it. That's about the only way that I know of whitout stressing out the fish and not destroying your tank to get him/her out.

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Yep just had to tear my tank down to get sick fish and of course I hate the way the rock is. I don't want to stress everyone more than they are so I am going to wait to redo rockwork for a month or so. Hope the trap works for you.

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
ive been thinking of a new method, maybe you can try it, get a small (as tall as your tank, and almost as deep, so you can section off a corner) sheet of acrylic. drill a ton of holes in it, so the water can flow through it, but not big enough for a fish to get through, from above, put one edge of the acrylic against the side of the tank, comming out into the middle of the tank, gently with a stick or the back of a net, chase the fish infront of the sheet, and once its there, simply "close the door" so he is stuck in the corner. not sure if it would work, certainly wouldnt depending on some peoples rock work, but if you have a little space infront of your tank, it should work.

·
Premium Member
24,599 Posts
Well good ideas so far, But the stress of chasing then moving the fish is alot. I think the other fish in Your tank will be just as likely to get ich with or withouit the tang in the tank, Just by moving him will not prevent the others from getting it, It's there already and will be looking for another host. I say let the tang fight it off on it's own, I don't like treating fish for it, most healty fish can survive it and be better off in the display tank without stress. Try adding garlic to the food to keep him and all the fish eating. I don't think it is a cure fore it. Just makes them eat better. JMO

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
I agree, unless you are going to remove all fish from the display and treat and then leave the display without fish for 3-6 months, then the ick is in the tank anyway. Trying to catch the hippo and putting it in a qt will be very stressful and make him worse. If yopu treat him and then put him back he will most likely get it again as it willl still be in the tank.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I've used a tupperware lid before,it worked great. There wasn't that much rock in the tank(40-50# in a 90).
I held the lid up and chased the fish into a corner and netted it.It wasn't pretty and I made a mess.
You could hang your net in the tank and put food in it. Feed the fish for a couple of days out of the net,until the fish get used to the net being in the tank and bingo.It's worth a try.

·
Noo Doot Aboot It!
2,768 Posts
have you considered getting a couple of cleaner shrimp? it is usually a good idea to have these guys if you have tangs as they will always get ich if something stresses them out (including you) so consider a natural remedy as in the wild there is no QT. Just my thoughts on the matter. I personally have 4 CS and a cleaner wrasse and my fish are nice and clean

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
nu2reef-n said:
You could hang your net in the tank and put food in it. Feed the fish for a couple of days out of the net,until the fish get used to the net being in the tank and bingo.It's worth a try.
I have used this method with great success. Use as large a net as possible and just leave it in the tank for days feeding in that spot.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the advise. I don't like to use the copper treatments so I am going to get some more cleaner shrimp to keep it under control.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts