The Reef Tank banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
uber-stupid
4,781 Posts
that is bad. There are some resins out there but Ihave no first hand experience with any of them. The problem is that if you are reading phosphates in your water colum it may be time to cook your rock and replace your sand.

How old is the system?

·
Semi-retar...eh...retired
2,995 Posts
What is your source water? RO? Check the TDS?

That's awfully high to be coming all from in-tank.
Resins aren't going to solve the problem. With levels like that, you need to find the source(s) and cut them off.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
three90s&125sump said:
faulty test kit?
Tested on source DI water. Phosphate is undectable.

Both display tank and QT tank have high Phosphate reading. QT is barebottom with no LR. I think the food may be the problem. Have you seen such high Phosphate reading from food?

I feed: Ocean Nutrition Prime Reef flake, Ocean Nutrition Formula One Marine Pellet, Ocean Nutrition frozen mysis shrimp, San Fransciso Bay frozen brine shrmip, Nori. Feed 1-2 times a day with very moderate amount of dry food or 1 frozen cube (split between main tank and QT tank); fish can consume all in less than a minute.

Main tank: 4" saifin tang, 3" hippo, 3" lemonpeel, 1.5" firefish.
QT tank: 2x 1" percula clown, 2" flame angel.

·
I've got the REEF rash!
61,658 Posts
Wow !feed every day! there's some of your problem.How about do you have a skimmer and if yes what kind?

·
Semi-retar...eh...retired
2,995 Posts
Uneaten food is the #1 source of phosphate. Die-off is #2 - so long as it's not coming from your water. Anything organic that decays in your tank releases phosphate.

Kalk can help, but not with levels like this, and probably not much overall. At the high pH of kalkwasser (14-ish), kalk can react with free phosphate to form insoluble calcium phosphate. It probably only happens right at the point where the kalk drips into the tank, though, since the pH quickly drops as the kalk disperses. Not a practical soution at all. More of a nice byproduct of dripping kalk than a useful tool.

·
Registered
255 Posts
TrimixDiver Kalk, due to it's high pH will cause precipitation of phosphates as calcium phosphate. Ichau211, Loverotties has a good point, what's your water volume and skimmer? Reduce feeding and do some water changes, drip kalk. I've used both the seachem product and the two little fishies phosphate removers. They work, but some corals may have a bad reaction to it.

·
uber-stupid
4,781 Posts
I would suggest going about a day with out feeding the systems and retest. You may have just tested when the food was still particulated in the water and got some in the vile.

Another thing is carbon.. are you running carbon and if so place a few peices in some DI water and let it set for a while and test it and see what you.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Not running carbon for 3 weeks. Skimmer is Turboflotor T1000 classic. Tank is 125 gallon. Going to do a 25% water change.

How often do you feed? Is feeing once a day too much?

Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Phosphate elimination

salifert phosphate eliminator works well but you will need to have a skimmer to make use of it. also testing will not work with this product and only watching the bubbles indicates that phosphate was or is being remove from your aquarium

·
Registered
4,889 Posts
I feed 3x a day....I just dont do water tests;) .
good skimmer, lots of snails and crabs and starfish, just like the ocean.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Do you buy new PhosGuard or do you recharge it? Im not sure if you can recharge it but I know you can recharge purigen. That is what I did when I was new to the hobby, BIG mistake, even if you follow the directions it still wipes out your tank. I have come to the conclusion that it must have been that either the directions on cleaning the packet were wrong or it was my declorinator.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts