The Reef Tank banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Officer Tang
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I have a 1 HP Hamilton Aqua Euro chiller for about 3 years now. Just yesterday it stopped chilling the water. Everything looks to be functioning as normal....the fan clicks on at the right temperature etc, but the water never gets chilled. The unit also stopped making that deep, Air-Conditioning rumbling that it makes when it's working, and the exhaust air is cool not hot. I think that maybe it ran out of Freon, but I've read that there is a leak if it runs out of freon within 10 years, is this true?

Anyways, I was hoping to get some advice on how to fix the chiller. Is the problem freon or something else? If it's Freon, how do I fix the issue??

Thanks for the help everyone

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
No freon equals a leak. If the compressor is not kicking on that could mean a few things. If it has a low pressure switch then it may not kick on if you are low on freon. If you have freon your compressor may have gone bad. Kind of hard to walk you through without knowing your particular unit.

Is it off line now. Have you taken the chiller hood off yet?

·
Captain Obvious
1,188 Posts
with you being in NYC, there has to be like 2,000 HVAC service companies that can take it in for service and see if they can fix the leak. try and find one that will look at it for free. then if its too expensive to fix, just leave it there and dont pick it up.

·
Officer Tang
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have to take the hood off when I get home later. Is there something I should be looking for in order to identify the issue? I can post pictures later on if that helps/

I cant get anyone to come look at the unit because I don't know what's wrong with it yet. No one wants to risk coming for a unit that they cant repair and cant bill me for.

Is it possible to fix on my own?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Unless something is obviously broken or cracked Freon leaks are next ro impossiable to find without the right equipment. HVAC shop would be your best bet, the kinds of pressures and sensitivities Freon systems have isnt something to mess with in your garage.

·
Captain Obvious
1,188 Posts
I cant get anyone to come look at the unit because I don't know what's wrong with it yet.
Yeah, in-home service usually starts at $150 the first hour of walking thru your door.

I was talking about finding a HVAC shop that has a service counter that you can walk in with the unit.

·
Registered
8,333 Posts
It's possible, quite easy to figure out if it's a leak or not. A simple hvac pressure guage can how you if the system has freon or not. If it does then something could be up with the compressor. If it is a leak you can get UV leak detector kit and find the leak and replace that part of the line/hose. But if there is a leak with such a small and basic system I would think the leak would be very noticeable.

·
Registered
86 Posts
It's possible, quite easy to figure out if it's a leak or not. A simple hvac pressure guage can how you if the system has freon or not. If it does then something could be up with the compressor. If it is a leak you can get UV leak detector kit and find the leak and replace that part of the line/hose. But if there is a leak with such a small and basic system I would think the leak would be very noticeable.

The problem is that its a sealed system, once you break the seal it needs to be oiled, sealed, evacuated, and recharged. Thats why the DIY kits you can get at Autozone are just a waste of money, if you overcharge a part of the system with the little rattle can you risk damaging something and making your problem worse. Most you can do on your own is pressure check, if its not good take it to a shop.

·
Registered
8,333 Posts
Small chillers may/may not be the same as automotive but I have takin apart/replaced/reassembled enough hvac systems on cars to know that it really isn't that hard of a job. While over/under pressurizing a system can lead to an early demise all you really have to do is pay attention to what your doing. Wingin it isn't gonna do either, a repair manual or owners manual with the proper information should be used as it should tell you the specifications on filling. Freon is also dangerous to the environment so you should have the unit professionally evacuated. But if your machanically inclined then it shouldn't be too big of a task.

·
Fish Whisperer
729 Posts
You are required to have a type 1 EPA CFC license if you perform service or repair of a small appliance refrigerant system. Huge fines imposed by the government if you get caught without one.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
You are required to have a type 1 EPA CFC license if you perform service or repair of a small appliance refrigerant system. Huge fines imposed by the government if you get caught without one.
I won't tell anyone....

·
Administrator
46,887 Posts
Telling is not the issue, it is illegal and as such reckless to post advocating doing it on a forum that is open to the public.
I agree with the advice to haul it to a shop and see if it fixable economically

·
Officer Tang
822 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OK everyone, I talked to Hamilton and had a professional HVAC come to my house (SkimJim was right on, $150 just to take a look). Turns out the compressor isn't starting up (big surprise, not) and he didn't recognize the brand, told me there was nothing he could do to fix it without any replacement parts. That made sense to me.

From Hamilton's end, they said it's probably the starter battery for the compressor, which is a cheap and easy piece to replace. They shipped it to me yesterday and I'll get it tomorrow to swap it out. If that doesn't work they offered to replace the chiller at a significant discount (several hundred dollars off retail).

I'll let yall know what happens tomorrow when I replace the part.

Also, I'm pretty sure I can tool around in my own chiller without a license...at least I know for sure that I can legally replace the compressor starter piece....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts