The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Super Moderator
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
how to... post images in threads.

There's a couple of different ways of posting pictures in threads. I will attempt to explain them here.

Method one: Attaching an image.
This is the easiest way to attach a picture to your thread.

When posting a new thread or replying to one, go down to where it says Attach file: and click the Browse button.

A window will pop up you can now find the file of your picture on your computer, highlight the file, then click open and then click submit reply. That's it. You my only link images with these extensions gif jpg png txt zip bmp jpeg. There is a size limit for files being attached, if the file is bigger then 170000 bytes please read this thread…
How to… resize and optimize images.

Method two: Hot linking an image.
In my opinion this is the best way to add images to threads. You can embed multiple images in a single post and you can put the images where you want in relation to text.

The image you want to use must be already on the web some where. If you don't have your own website or web space you can put your images in to the gallery here at TRT. If you don't know the URL or web address of the picture you can go to the picture then right click it, a menu should pop up, click on properties.

In the properties window there will be a line that says Address: (URL) this is the address you will need. Highlight the address and right click the highlighted text and copy it.

Now you can use this address in your posts. Just click on the IMG button and paste the address in the window that pops up.

I used windows XP for this "how to", if you use a different operating system your mileage might vary...

If anyone has questions or still needs help please post here in this thread or PM me.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
This is great Dave. Any way to get screen shots of how to get the properties of a picture in the photo gallery? That might be helpful too! Thanks :D

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
laddy00 said:
Maybe this thread can be linkied to in faq when finished.
I will definately add this to the FAQ. Thanks for the work on this :)

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Thanks, that was great. I have looked around at a couple other places on the web for saltwater info and they don't have anything over on the reef tank. I love this place. Just wish I knew someone a little closer. Am I the only one in Oklahoma?

·
Registered
679 Posts
Ok - trying again... I have 2 pages open - I went to my gallery - right clicked on the photo, clicked copy image - then came over into this post.. and I'm hitting paste...

Then nothing happens?! Is that what you said to do?

Now I'm going to try pressing the little picture with the mountains and copying and pasting the url in...

1 - 20 of 101 Posts