The Reef Tank banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow reefers

I have a new 75g AGA Tank with NO overflow plumbing. The bottom of this tank is tempered so I guess I can not drill there. I do not want to have an over flow box hanging on the back of the tank (very bad expeice in the pass). I prefer to have bulkhead fittings.

My question is where would be the best place to drill outlet and inlet holes for this tank (the back, the side, and how many?) also what size bulkhead would you recommend.
The pump i have is a MAG 7(or is it a Mag 9 hmmm not sure).
Or should i just replace the pumps.

your help is greatly appreciated

·
Registered
12 Posts
Welcome to TRT. The main question is are you going to drill them yourself?

The place on the tank depends on your tank placement, I have a tank with the holes drilled on one end and I have a tank with the holes drilled in back, both have their pros and con's.

I would get the biggest holes that you can.

HTH

Jon

·
Registered
637 Posts
We had the same problem with a 125 gallon at school, in my dorm. We ended up drillin on the back piece of glass. We have am overflow in each corner, but with a 75 I think would only need one on a corner, or maybe one in the middle, it is up to you.

I also agree, get the largest holes drilled as possible!

·
Registered
680 Posts
All my tanks are drilled through the back! I would not use any thing smaller than a 1" bulkhead The gravity flow rate through a 1" bulkhead is only around 600gph. So if you want to get the “Recommended” 10 times turn over rate you would need two 1” bulkheads to handle 750gph or one 1-1/2” bulkhead

Attachments

·
Registered
680 Posts
gargoyle said:
how far down did you drill and what size bulkhead fitting did you use? I'm thinking about 6 inches.
Here's a pic of an old 1" bulkhead set-up! The hole was about 3" from the side & 3" from the top! I had a 1" 90 degree fitting facing up that acted as a small surface skimmer! To stop the slurping sound I made a modified DURSO standpipe.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.