The Reef Tank banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got some new corals and starting them low in the tank until they're used to the light. My question is, how to 'stick' them in place. The crabs and snails and shrimps are crawling on them and they're getting knocked around. On one of the zooanthids, an entire polyp fell of and rolled into the sand bottom under a rock. I've heard mention of crazy glue..is that the normal stuff you get at the hardware store? I don't think I want to put glue into my tank. Will the corals eventually grow into or onto where I set them?
Thanks!

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
No No No crazy glue!! I would use glue... but glue that you buy at the LFS that will not pollute aquarium water. So go to youre LFs and ask them about glue and they'll get you the right one.

·
The Bitter Mod
7,059 Posts
zxcv123 said:
No No No crazy glue!! I would use glue... but glue that you buy at the LFS that will not pollute aquarium water. So go to youre LFs and ask them about glue and they'll get you the right one.

This simply isn't true. You can buy Super Glue Gel( I like Loctite) for glueing corals. Also there is a two part epoxy sold at Home Depot that works very well. I can't remember the name at the moment, but a simple search should help.

·
The Muddy Mod
7,007 Posts
Any super glue gel is fine. Use just a small amount. Some things have too much slime to glue. You can also use underwater epoxy.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Place where you want them and pray.

Just joshin'. All super glue is cyanoacrylate. it is completely harmless to your aquarium.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Many things can be bought at other stores than just the LFS.
I hate to say it but when ya put the word hobby in the same line with something to buy the price goes up :)

·
Premium Member
14,531 Posts
theplatypus said:
This simply isn't true. You can buy Super Glue Gel( I like Loctite) for glueing corals. Also there is a two part epoxy sold at Home Depot that works very well. I can't remember the name at the moment, but a simple search should help.
I use the Loctite also! for branching frags like LPS I wedge them in the live rock

·
Registered
524 Posts
isnt the stuff they sell at the LFS just super glue with a different name and 10 bucks tacked on to the price?

I use super glue. I personally don't like the epoxy I think it's too hard to work with. If you do use the epoxy watch your skimmer cuz it'll go crazy.

·
11,345 Posts
Loctite here as well for both superglue gel and epoxy

one thing to keep in miund when using crazy glue is that it will burn and kill the parts of the coral that it touches, so you want to prep as much as possible for what you are doing, so you are fairly precise. I use locitite superglue gel to seal all open wounds on sps and glue everything form zoos to mushrooms to xenia. It works great for gluing xenia and gsp on the walls of your tank where they belong....AWAY from everything else...haha.
A couple of other little tricks is to take your dremel tool and make a little slot in the rock where you want to put something, make the slot the same size as the base of whatever you are putting in it, put the glue in the slot and either let it set by itself for 30 seconds or so OR use a quick drying agent before setting the coral in place. I used to always turn things upside down and hold it out of the water for a bit so the water and slime combo didnt dilute the glue, but i learned from loverotties a couple of weeks ago to use q-tips to deal with the dripping water/slime.

·
Administrator
46,678 Posts
zxcv123 said:

Sorry, that was uncalled for, bad day As you can see theres alternatives to LFS and products sold in the aquarium trade

1 - 18 of 18 Posts